Home > Trip Reports > May 22-24, 2009, Cutthroat Pass NCNP

May 22-24, 2009, Cutthroat Pass NCNP

5/22/09
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Glorificus Adventum on 5/25/09 11:13am
We started out at Rainy Pass trail head and slogged our way in. The forest snow was continuous from the car except for a few places. I was overly optimistic on how fast the approach would go but several miles of the same traverse is a bit much. We camped in the Porcupine creek basin at about 5700ft. All things considered, the location gave good access the pass and surrounding areas. Our first full day took us to the top of Cutthroat ridge. Instead of following the trail route we, for some reason (probably cause we thought it would be amusing), decided a more direct route straight up to the ridge would be the way to go. After skinning half way up we resorted to crampons and ice axes. At the top we enjoyed magnificent views and dinner. The snow was best at the top and got pretty sloppy down further. Our way out was a pain as well because the snow was near bullet proof in the trees which made turning with a big pack problematic. There was a snow bridge on the way in over the creek you cross but on our way our had melted. Both sides are now undercut by the creek so would advise serious caution if you find yourself going that way. Next time i would like to start further down the road, near where Porcupine crosses hwy 20. Great time to be sure.
Re: pic #1. Not sure I have ever seen so many different colors sticking out of a backpack before. Festive! Is that a Cirque Du Soleil tent maybe?  ;)

Actually I have been making my own packs for a while. I will grant you that they are rather colorful but why not. They make me easier to find after falling into tree wells and so forth  ;D.

Homemade pack -- very cool! I like it! (I lack the sewing skill and equipment for that level of dedication to build from scratch, though I have also decorated/repaired some of my own gear with similarly bright cloth and/or duct tape.)
I day tripped Porcupine/Cutthroat a few years ago, and we started out like you describe you were thinking about - in a big pullout near where Porcupine Cr goes under 20. On the way up it seemed like it was going to be a nightmare to descend that way but all in all it wasn't that bad, though hardly a quality use of that last ~400 vf (YMMV, might be worse with less cover over brush and matchsticks). We managed to pick up the trail and use the actual bridge for the creek crossing, which was helpful.
Cutthroat definitely seems like a nice place to camp and then cherrypick the lines all day. The obvious ones are the little summits lookers left from the pass (S facing), or over the back and towards the lake (NE). But SW facing lines on Cutthroat ridge, ridge running to Granite Pass, or dropping N into Swamp Cr as far as the snow lasted, looked tempting too.

Reply to this TR

may-22-24-2009-cutthroat-pass-ncnp
Glorificus Adventum
2009-05-25 18:13:04