Home > Trip Reports > Obstruction Point May 24, 2009

Obstruction Point May 24, 2009

5/15/09
Posted by David_Britton on 5/24/09 10:14pm
Headed out from Hurricane to Obstruction point on Sunday of this Memorial Day weekend; Snow at the stake measured 60" and it was clear as a bell. I was praying for a good hard freeze to set things up and minimize avy danger, and was rewarded. Even though it was only low 40's on the ridge, the snow was rock solid.

Between the ridge and Waterhole, snow was a bit dirty, but mostly intact, except the first decent from the car, and the walk-up by Steeple. Took abt an hour to Waterhole; I really like the looks of the gladed NW facing bowl past and to the SW of Waterhole; any one ever ski that? Then skinned along the cornices past Eagle point. SE Exposures were corning up nicely at abt 8:30 AM there and very tempting.

The flats between Eagle and Obstruction were erie; I spent my time picking a line for the return, debating between a big NW saddle between Elk and Obstruction Pks, or a simple NW bowl off Obstruction. Anyone know if these hold snow after they open the road? Made it to the end of the road at about 10:30 AM; skiied Obstruction bowl on way out; rock solid just before 11:00 AM and a simple, safe exit with a few good turns along the way.

Sloppy schologg on the way out arriving at truck 2PM. As with all Olympics, you pay for your turns. 16 miles of skinning.
We skied the bowl in your first picture a couple of years ago after the road was open to Waterhole.  Its a nice line  which steepens as it decends into a creek drainage.  When will the road be open to waterhole?

Reply to this TR

obstruction-point-may-24-2009
David_Britton
2009-05-25 05:14:27