Home > Trip Reports > May 22, 2009, Wy'East Face

May 22, 2009, Wy'East Face

5/22/09
Posted by chmnyboy on 5/22/09 8:01am
A slow pace got skier8484 and myself to the top of the face in just under 5 hours. Started down at 10am with perfect corn on the face and Superbowl but turning soggy by the time we got to Heather Canyon.

Probably could have skied the face 40 or 50 minutes earlier to ensure corn on the lower slopes, but otherwise an awesome descent. Saw two good ski tracks on the face from yesterday, as well as two more tracks going down the south side route/west crater rim.

Pictures to follow as soon as we can get a handle on this techmology thing...
Sweet - we were going to do the face last weekend but did the soutside instead due to Avy danger.  Love to see the pics............

where did you start your ascent from?

We started our ascent from the meadows parking lot, then up to the top of cascade. There were a few large shallow wet slides on the face set off from the day before, and we set off a few more slow moving slides, but no real avy danger.

We avoided the southside route because of memorial day traffic, although from the crater rim we only saw about 30 climbers. There were 2 good looking ski tracks that appeared to venture to west crater rim then down the zigzag though...props to whoever put those down.

pics for enjoyment:

Nice pics and report.  I was one of the folks that skied the face on the 21st, following a couple of other folks that were on their way down as I neared the top.  Should have headed up a few hours earlier, as conditions were getting a bit unstable, and I caused a few of the slides shown in your pics.  Learned a valuable lesson though since I peeled off a gnarly hunk of flesh off my right hand while getting caught in a slow, small, but never the less heart palpitating avy.

Reply to this TR

may-22-2009-wy-east-face
chmnyboy
2009-05-22 15:01:14