Home > Trip Reports > Pineapple Pass, May 21

Pineapple Pass, May 21

5/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Teleskichica on 5/21/09 11:24am
The lack of work this week bodes well not for the pocket book but definitely for the VF ski bank...

Due to an expected late start and desire to get on snow as quick as possible, Pineapple Pass was the tour of choice for afternoon turns. We left the parking lot at 11:30 AM. Needles were thick in the trees, but pollen proved not to be a problem. Up into the pass, the snow was soft, but stable. No significant point releases today although there were many from yesterday and we did hear some rockfall. Sometimes snow pushed aside while skinning would pinwheel, but nothing significant; there was a lot more pinwheeling on our ski down. We first took a lap skiers left of the actual pass, then headed into the pass for a second lap where we ate lunch and watched climbers on the Tooth. Coming down the snow was  soft and deep, whipped potatoes. Having probably over exerted my ankle some last Saturday, I declined a second lap in the pass, but Ed returned for second servings. While the snow was heavier, it wasn't terribly sticky--skiing over the wide boot pack path was the most challenging/annoying, somewhat akin to what I would imagine sleeping on a pillow top mattress might be like. Can't say for sure, but maybe Rusty Knees knows?  :) Overall, great day to be out. As we left the ski area, we both thought the coverage on the runs looked pretty good and may provide more consistent turns at this time with  a consolidated base and less of the heavier, deep snow encountered in the B/C. Of course, pollen might be an issue there.  First day in Alpy BC and I certainly can't complain.   8)

Finally, more pics of Ed whipping the potatoes....
http://picasaweb.google.com/teleskichica/PineapplePassMay212009?feat=directlink
Nice!  Did you get a look farther east, at all?  I'm wondering how far out Gold Creek has melted...

author=Marcus link=topic=13398.msg55804#msg55804 date=1243005348]
Nice!  Did you get a look farther east, at all?  I'm wondering how far out Gold Creek has melted...

Sorry, don't know. Pictures show everywhere we "looked".

Reply to this TR

pineapple-pass-may-21
Teleskichica
2009-05-21 18:24:21