Home > Trip Reports > May 17, 2009, Nisqually Chutes, MRNP

May 17, 2009, Nisqually Chutes, MRNP

5/17/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Keith_Henson on 5/17/09 9:11pm
Arrived at Muir with my 2 church buddies, Andy Casillas and Les Gerstamnn  at 9:30. They snowshoe while I skinned. Soft enough to cause post holing. As we started I saw a group of 5 skiing down the Nisqually Chutes.

Continuous snow all the way except for a short carry at the top of Pan Point. Carried skies up from the base of Pan Point in nicely kicked out steps. Very warm with an increasing wind as we climbed. At Muir it was actually cold from the breeze. Lots of rocks and snow falling off the mountain from the warming.

On the way I met skiers Ryan, Jessie, and Matt, guys I meet on the way up, and made plans to ski the Nisqually Chutes with them on the way down.

The run down from Muir at around 2:30 was incredible. Smooth with wonderful corn snow. So much so we just skied past the entrance to the main Nisqually Chute. We decided to try the untracked chute to the skiers left of the main chute. Deep, granulated snow that did not slide much but did send intact blocks of snow sliding all the way to the bottom far below. One small section of the chute has ice with some slush on top and rocks to dodge.

The snow became stickier and heavier as we left the chute.

At the bottom was a group of over 25 people just standing around on the glacier. We skied past the and headed toward the bridge. Snow bridges are getting thin but we crossed to the right side of the river. One nasty section of about 40 yards of booting on the waters edge and dealing with very loose rocks and gravel.

More pictures here at my website
Very nice Keith.
There's still plenty snow at WA pass for your trip next week.

Cool Keith and good info on the lower Nisqually.  2 Qs:
-Did you leave Paradise at 9:30 or arrive at Muir then? 
-Did you abandon your hapless snowshoe buddies?  Did they come pick you up? 

author=telemack link=topic=13364.msg55642#msg55642 date=1242688273]
Cool Keith and good info on the lower Nisqually.  2 Qs:
-Did you leave Paradise at 9:30 or arrive at Muir then? 
-Did you abandon your hapless snowshoe buddies?  Did they come pick you up? 

Left Paradise at around 9:15 and saw the group coming down the Nisqually Chutes at about 9:30.

Yeah I waited at the bridge for them to pick me up on the way down.

Maybe you drove by me on your way out as I waited at the lot by the bridge from 5 to 6:30. Skiing is way easier on my knee than downhill hiking and obviously so much quicker.

Reply to this TR

may-17-2009-nisqually-chutes-mrnp
Keith_Henson
2009-05-18 04:11:55