Home > Trip Reports > May 17, 2009, Hochglueck Scharte (Karwendel Range)

May 17, 2009, Hochglueck Scharte (Karwendel Range)

5/17/09
Posted by silaswild on 5/16/09 11:47pm
Finally a clear night!  Gave us hope of firm good corn, so we were up at 430AM for breakfast and the longish drive for Innsbruckers.  Steep walls along the ski up with debris on our route made for some concern about wet avis starting high out of view but we survived.  Watched a young gal loose her footing (one of the few skiers not using ski crampons) and slide 200', including about 20' of (fortunately) smooth rock; that group never did show up later at our high point.

This popular tour for Muncheners was pretty busy, but fortunately no traffic jams in the narrow spots on the descent.  Buttered corn high, some stickiness, then crunchy corn lower.  A nice tour in a new area for me.  As usual, a great post ski tour lunch:  deer goulash with bread knoedel and a radler.  The warm 75 degree weather brought out the throngs, lots of motor bike smokers (Austria is one of the few countries still allowing smoking in restaurants), bicyclists, young families, and locals in lederhosen and alpine hats.

Silas, I hope you bring home some recipes, and not just ski pictures.  I enjoy the phood photos.  A variation on the old saw...
Leave only ski tracks and take only recipes.  Looking forward to skiing/eating with you again.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=13355.msg55577#msg55577 date=1242599543]
I enjoy the phood photos. 

Here you go!  Clockwise from the top:  schlag (whipped cream), deer, lettuce with preislbeern (cranberry sauce), knoedel (bread dumpling.)  12euros, which has been as inexpensive as $15 this spring, but now is more like $17. 

IS THIS THE SAME SILAS THAT IN 1996 IN ITALY WOULD CAMP AND COOK 100 YARDS FROM THE HUT TO SAVE $! GREAT CHANGES ARE POSSIBLE IN THIS WORLD!  :) ;) :D ;D

...and the same Silas Wild who in 2007 while on the Ortler traverse would make his appearance only after dinner was served and hover over our desserts! "Full pensione" was not in his vocabulary.

Reply to this TR

may-17-2009-hochglueck-scharte-karwendel-range
silaswild
2009-05-17 06:47:27