Home > Trip Reports > May 16, 2009, Paradise

May 16, 2009, Paradise

5/16/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 5/16/09 2:01pm
Dave K. and I headed up the snowfield for some exercise, turns, and views. Left the lot at 8:30 (rangers were asking all-day users to park in the old visitor center parking lot to free up space for tourists. Mixed feelings about it, myself) and headed up easily skinnable crust. Set a new personal record for my time up to Muir, while Dave took it easy. Zipped down soft  protocorn a little after 11 to Pan Point. Folks booting up were going in to the knee, with ~50 people on the slope. Found a safe-ish way down, then a different safe way up.  Skinned up mushy corn back to Muir and descended with Dave. Corn 'o clock was probably noon-1. Afternoon descent was variable but good. Pan Face was strangely consolidated but very soft goo - would've been unpleasant to climb.

Some sizeable slabs had ripped out (see extreme left of JoshH photo), mostly on SE aspects, and a big cornice failed into Edith Creek Basin. Big sluffs ran on the E side of the Nisqually downstream of the chutes. On the plus side for stability, saw ~9 folks ski the Chutes in late afternoon, including some non-trivial cornice hucking, with only tiny sluffs as a result. YMMV. Hot out, hotter tomorrow. Random sampling of non-summiting climbers reported deep snow/wind on both the ledges and gap related routes.
The folks in Nisqually was our group plus a few we picked up at Muir.  Stability and skiing felt great on the way down.  Little mashy near the bottom, but nothing the Manaslu's couldn't handle.

The cornice hucker was a friend...didn't know he was gonna do that.  Glad for his sake and mine the cornice stayed put and I was above.

Some pics from within...
http://picasaweb.google.com/GIBBYCU/NisquallyChutes02?authkey=Gv1sRgCJyn7-SSlO6ttgE&feat=email#

my brother Todd and I skied the chutes as well after heading to muir.  Very good skiing on the first 2/3rd, a bit mushy down low.  great views, great company great mountain. 

I've never skied down there but would like to. Are there lines back down from Camp Muir where you don't have to worry about sloughs?

It was good to meet you up there. This is Josh H.  It was a great day of touring.

I at last got to ski from muir down the Nisqually next to the cliffs that border the muir snowfields. 

Reply to this TR

may-16-2009-paradise
Charlie Hagedorn
2009-05-16 21:01:36