Home > Trip Reports > May 9, 2009, Ebbetts Pass,Tryon Peak,Sierra

May 9, 2009, Ebbetts Pass,Tryon Peak,Sierra

5/9/09
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 5/11/09 2:16pm
We met our friends from Markleeville and drove to Ebbetts Pass which opened the previous day.  None of us had skied the Ebbetts Pass area before, but we hoped there would be sufficient snow to explore.  The road to Ebbetts Pass is a narrow 2 lane road with few pullouts for skiers.  We arrived at the pass and parked in one of the 4 spaces available.  A group of young guys rolled in, put on their downhill boots and strapped their downhill skis to their Camelbak packs. They headed, on dirt, up towards a bluff to ski some chutes while their car shuttle descended to the pickup point.  We skinned up and headed southwesterly along the western side of the pass€™s ridge.  Coverage was adequate until we had to cross 2 drainages which required a slight alteration to our up-track.  We approached a third deeper drainage that required removal of skis and dirt walking.  I applied the rule of €œdon€™t pass up wonderful Sierra corn for better corn€.  Our friends had summit fever and continued the hiking to summit Tryon Peak.  Jill and I climbed to the top of peak 9713.  We cycled the 700vf slopes and followed the sun as it warmed new aspects to perfection.  We dumped the packs and scampered back up for another lap.  We were like 2 kids barking and yelping as we descended each run.  Finally, our friends returned and we began the traverse back to Ebbetts.  The terrain near the pass is rather complex. There appeared to be numerous nooks with chutes and big drops.  Along the east side of peak 9713, opposite the side we skied, there was a steep bowl with overhanging cornices that were collapsing and debris was everywhere. We€™ve heard from numerous folks that the prime lines are short-lived and melt out quickly.  We €œgot lucky€.   
Thanks for posting, I try to get up there at least once each year.  I do not have the right equipment for telemark or rondonee skiing, but ski the chutes with down hill skiies I rarely have seen marks for other skiers.  Last weekend I skied Sonora pass and hope to get up to Ebbetts this weekend.

Here is a post from last year- Go to the bottom
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34908&highlight=ebbetts

Reply to this TR

may-9-2009-ebbetts-pass-tryon-peak-sierra
Zap
2009-05-11 21:16:14