Home > Trip Reports > May 10, 2009, Mt Hood So.

May 10, 2009, Mt Hood So.

5/10/09
OR Mt Hood
Posted by ridngoofy on 5/11/09 6:12am
We have always wanted to do this Cascade classic but with so much to do close to home we just never go to it, until now.  The snow didn't let us down as the southern volcanoes have wonderfully skiable snow this time of year.

We started from the top of Palmer lift about 10.   By the time we arrived at the hogsback most folks were moving down.  By the time we started our summit climb everyone had long gone except for 2 gentlemen who hung out enjoying a beautiful day on Mt Hood and talking some hood history with us. 

There was absolutely no detecting the bergschrund.  After asking 3 persons where it was I got 2 descriptions.  We stashed our skis on the hogsback and arrived on the summit ridge at 1PM after enjoying an approach totally to ourselves.  That's pushing the time envelope but it gave an advantage on the descent having the mountain all to ourselves.  Upon arriving at the summit ridge I turned to talk with Anni and was hit in the face by a thick cloud obscuring any view of her and she was not more than 15 feet away.  I said "lets get the $%** out of here" and we plunge stepped a hasty retreat to the hogsback.   The ski down was wonderful on practically untouched snow under an overcast sky with cool temps.  We even got to enjoy some snow flurries on the way.  About 6K feet the snow turned to flypaper.

Reply to this TR

may-10-2009-mt-hood-so
ridngoofy
2009-05-11 13:12:56