Home > Trip Reports > March 12, 2004, Amabilis Mountain

March 12, 2004, Amabilis Mountain

3/12/04
Posted by MW88888888 on 3/12/04 2:20am
Today was not a powder day.

In fact, it wasn't even a corn day. It was one of those Limbo days between seasons, like early November when it's too cold to go cragging and not snowy enough to ski. But alas, skiing knows no "bad" season, only challenging ones, and I chose to rise to the occassion.

Or at least crawl.

I left the sno park at exit 63 at 6:45 and was surprised to find a groomed trail up the logging road heading to Amabilis mountain. Now this was a pleasant surprise. I had my three pins on and anticipated grueling trail skiing on snowmobile trails but this, well, might as well have been the autobahn! I got into my groove and charged up the three miles or so of never ending switchbacks and crested the mountain at a little after 8.

The sight from the top of the scars of deforestation all around the Stampede Pass area from days gone by was a little depressing, and the low clouds and wind accentuated the mood. But alas, I was on skis, no one was around, and the logging trucks had moved on some time ago. Time would heal these wounds, and the descent would liven my mood! Indeed, just the sight of the smooth crunchy snow foreshadowed corn days soon to be had, and this made me smile.

I chose not to tic the summit, it was another mile along the flat ridge, instead de-skinned and enjoyed the view, planning yo yo trips for the future if I was ever to return to the area. The thought of those blind corners below with a snowmobile coming head on dampened my enthusiasm to return, but today I had the mountain to myself.

It was a LONG glide back down the 2,000 vertical, with intermittant poling and me in my kamakaze stance of one on skinny skis on crusty snow. Back at the car by 8:50 and on the road again.

Two planks, eh guy?  That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Not only that, Sky, but FREE HEELS!  (What's my Mom going to say about this?)

Reply to this TR

march-12-2004-amabilis-mountain
MW88888888
2004-03-12 10:20:56