Home > Trip Reports > Circumnavigation of Dragontail, Pandora's Box Couloir

Circumnavigation of Dragontail, Pandora's Box Couloir

5/8/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by TonyM on 5/10/09 3:26am

Photo by Photo description of the route

Skied a nice clockwise loop around Dragontail Peak on May 9th, 2009.   From Colchuck Lake (elevation 5570), we ascended Aasgard Pass (7750), up to the summit of Dragontail (8809).   

Once we gained the summit, we traversed in a westerly direction to the false summit, also referred to as "Pandora's Box" in some climbing route descriptions.  The first photo was taken from the summit shows Pandora's Box off in the distance to the right.  We gained the ridge that leads to Pandora's Box (second photo) and then climbed/down-climbed to the top of the west facing couloir that heads down near the Colchuck-DT Col.  Getting up and over and then into the couloir proved tricky - a slip here could certainly ruin one's day.

Once in the couloir, we enjoyed a great ski down to near the Colchuck-Dragontail Col.  The snow had set up a few days and settled mostly, so we felt safe after a few turns.  The top is about 30-35 degrees, and about 3/4 the way down there's a steeper roll, around 38 to maybe 40 degrees or so.  Before the roll though, it's difficult to see the bottom and we were a little apprehensive given neither of us had been there before, but once in this steeper section, the skiing was enjoyable.  And from there to the lake via Colchuck Glacier conditions ranged from enjoyable wind affected powder heavy wet and dense snow. 

Gear- we brought a 30 meter, 8.5mm rope, light pro,  2 long slings, ice axe, crampons, skis.  We used everything and wished we had packed ski crampons for the ascent up Aasgard Pass. It's certainly possible to go ropeless on the ridge section across to Pandora's Box, but the rope weighed so little compared to the consequences of a fall off either side.

Thank you Monica and Kyle for the beta!

Wow. I look at that west facing col every day as it's one of my monitor screen backgrounds. Way to go.

Gettin' jiggy with it

And another.

Nice trip!  Sorry I missed it.  How was the trip up/down to Colchuck lake?

Also works nicely counterclockwise but be ready for an icy climb up to the col.

author=Scottk link=topic=13285.msg55358#msg55358 date=1242014917]
Nice trip!  Sorry I missed it.  How was the trip up/down to Colchuck lake?

Hi Scott-  the skin up Aasgard was on frozen snow for the most part, so scary comes to mind!  From there up Snow Creek glacier was steep but easier to the col at 8400 feet.  The ski down Colchuck Glacier was really nice till about half way, then the sun and warm temps had done their handy work and the snow became dense and heavy.  Made turning a leg burner for sure.  We set off some huge pinwheels on the lower section and Nick was nailed by one I believe.  The ski down thru the forest wasn't anything to write home about.  But the trip combined a little of everything, so very pleased we did it.

Nice work. I'm glad to hear that the trip worked out.
I was planning on heading into that general area on sunday but I had a equipment malfunction  >:(

Very informative and the photography is beautiful, thank you.

author=TonyM link=topic=13285.msg55360#msg55360 date=1242015731]
the skin up Aasgard was on frozen snow for the most part, so scary comes to mind!
The ski down Colchuck Glacier was really nice till about half way, then the sun and warm temps had done their handy work and the snow became dense and heavy.

Interesting difference between conditions at Aasgard and Colchuck: I tried to boot it up Colchuck col around 10-11am and I had to give it up at a very low elevation, after I started sinking to my crotch at every step... Well, there's always next week. N

March 18th, 2021... Interesting reading these old TR's.  

As of this date, I'm 63 and at the time we did this trip, I was 51.    Back then, no thought was given to working all day, drive for 3 hours, start hiking /skinning for 9 miles with skis, tent, winter gear, rope, sleeping bags, etc.

Camp in the dark, then get up early, do some serious frozen snow skinning (too thin/punchy for crampons, to hard and frozen for skins) ... but we did it- scary.  Then a full on adventure climb down and ski a fairly steep col (P.B.), to Colchuck Col, cross the lake again with all of our stuff.  

Oh, and I came down with the flu (2009, so maybe the bad one back then) on Colchuck Lake just before the last 9 mile decent.  Then 9 miles of horrible frozen tree skiing and hiking, all while feeling like crap, with a loaded pack and skis.  

Live and do while you can!  Tony

Reply to this TR

may-9-2009-circumnavigation-of-dragontail
TonyM
2009-05-10 10:26:17