Home > Trip Reports > May 3, 2009, Front Range, Colorado

May 3, 2009, Front Range, Colorado

5/3/09
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 5/4/09 10:23am
Day 41
Front Range, Colorado
3,000 vertical of May Powder

My first run was at 6 am from my highpoint.   

Coming down the mountain - 1,000 VF of 6€ powder over a mushy corn base, skiing absolutely perfectly - the morning sunrise splashing the white snow yellow and gold, the air still, cold and calm.  A dense fog bank hangs over the plains providing the cloud sea effect so reminiscent of PNW.  Why, wasn€™t it at Alpental that I last had a May powder day so exquisite?  Yes, another solo day, another century ago€¦     

Powder skiing in May is one of the most sublime of pleasures.  So many dimensions of feelings, both internal and external, a cornucopia of experience in each run €“ lament for another winter season coming to a close, anxiety about the impending corn descents, unexpected joy from the easy corn base trapped under a blanket of unmolested cold; layer upon layer, feelings wash over me; turn after turn, I forward on in its glory. 

My cocktail of drugs keeps my cold at bay €“ my head feels fine, but my body hates me.  I strap on the shoes at the bottom and cruise the walk-up.  Time ticks on to 7 am.  The sun is getting higher, but the trees and north facing slope stays cool and powdery. 

I work a section of trees I€™d found years ago, twisting and turning down the natural gulley, anticipating the turns and ducking the branches that fly past me.  I anticipate, but mostly let the board find its way.  SOOO GOOOD!  I stop near the bottom and look back up at my work €“ sultry s-turns in the virgin white, is this February or May?  (May, as I didn€™t hit a log all run!). 

Drop the board and turn for run #3.

45 minutes later I€™m strapping on for another untracked line€¦perhaps the last Powder of the season?  Perhaps.  Like old age, one day you wake up - and you're not young anymore.  It's the same with Powder - one day you wake up and realize yetserday was your last Powder day. 

Maybe.  This is Colorado.

I drive home at 8 am and mow my lawn.
Hi Dave -

Powder in May in Colorado is not unusual, you just have to ski it before the sun does its work.

And yes, I do mind.  I enjoy the quiet of this place.  If I can find it, others can without my help.

If it's where I think it was you heard I-70 for the first thirty minutes of your tour, it was south facing, and it begins with a "D."

right on mang, thanks for the report, great to hear about trips out there.

Reply to this TR

may-3-2009-front-range-colorado
MW88888888
2009-05-04 17:23:42