Home > Trip Reports > May 2, 2009, Pemby Ice Cap, BC

May 2, 2009, Pemby Ice Cap, BC

5/2/09
Canada BC
Posted by ema on 5/4/09 8:34am
If this belongs on sledneck.com let me know. The Ice Cap is a vast and spectacular place. Rutherford FSR is drivable (some clearance needed) 13 Km. After that it's intermittent snow for a mile, then snow. We took sleds as far as Ryan Lk., some 13 miles. This was my first time on a sled going 63 MPH with nothing in the way. All I can say is OMFG! We skied two sled laps, and the skins came out about 2pm for a skin lap. Snow was firm up high and corn lower down. Alot of the time was spent in recon mode, checking out the huge expanse. If one was to skin in right now, I would say it's about an hour and a half (maybe less) to the snowmobile cabin (emergency use only) and then it starts to open up from there. The toe of the Appa Glacier is roughly an hour from the cabin. Finished off with a Timmy's Iced Capp...MMM, delicious.
Big country up there Toby -- wow.  I'll bet you have a ton of nice photos...

How do the sled laps work?  Do you have a designated driver who takes you up and then shoots back down to the bottom?

Marcus. We need to hook up! Are you doing a hut trip or two next year? We may need a couple of people to fill some spots. As far as the sledding, it is new to me this year. Stacy and I each rode our own sleds in. This was our first experience with sled laps, as we usually just access a certain area to ski via skins. For sled laps, first you tandem up on one sled (one person on one side rail and another on the other side, facing forward). Then you ski your line to the sled that you "stashed" at the bottom. You then tandem up on the second sled to get the first, and sled back down. As you can imagine, you are sledding more than skiing, but it's not all that bad if you're into that kind of thing. It's a different experience, and you can drink beer and scope lines!!!

thats a far more sensible method of 'sled laps' than i saw at Turnagain Pass a few years ago... Becky and I saw snowboarders that would ride up on their sleds, then let the sled ghost ride back down the mountain in neutral...then they'd hop on their snowboards and chase after them...

great pics Toby.... I need to spend some time up there!

Nice -- that last pic is great.

We're trying to put together a hut trip next year -- maybe Kokanee, if we can get the lottery.  I'll let you know.

If you have a couple of spots that need filling, drop me a line.  We'd love to get out with you again.

Reply to this TR

may-2-2009-pemby-ice-cap-bc
ema
2009-05-04 15:34:24