Home > Trip Reports > March 6, 2004, Whitewater,BC Backcountry

March 6, 2004, Whitewater,BC Backcountry

3/6/04
Canada BC
Posted by Zap on 3/10/04 7:27pm
After the Ymir Yurt experience, Jill and I headed for Whitewater and the extensive backcountry terrain.  There was a recent storm that deposited over a foot of dusty Kootenay powder to the area.  We were the second vehicle in the parking lot and cooked breakfast in the camper as we waited for the ticket window to open. With only 2 double chairs, a base of 5400' and 1300vf, Whitewater may seem small but the box canyon is "pure, simple & real DEEP".

You can purchase a discounted ticket at Safeway in Nelson for $38c or buy a single ride ticket for $12C.  The parking lot may be full but the lifts will probably be empty with the masses out touring.  With the high alpine opening as control work was being conducted, we skinned up the Silver King side. We climbed to the ridge between Five Mile Basin and White Queen.  From the top of the lift, it's an easy climb to slopes with a south, north and east exposure.  When I spoke to a group which just cycled White Queen, they said it was "almost too deep". :)

We planned to drop into Five Mile Basin(makes Silver Basin at Crystal look small) but there were no tracks in(aka I would have to put in a skin track out) and the avy conditions were high on north and east aspects.  We skied the southeast exposures in deep powder. It was a great powder day with a weeks worth of terrain within sight.

Whitewater has been discovered but there is so much terrain and reliable powder that you can tour for a week in the box canyon. The photo sections of Couloir, Backcountry and Powder usually have pictures of the type of terrain available.  It's a backcountry skiers paradise.

Zap
thanks, zap, for the report.  I almost pulled the trigger this year on a trip here to try single ride/bc touring but snow/avy was better elsewhere.  So maybe next year.

Reply to this TR

march-6-2004-whitewater-bc-backcountry
Zap
2004-03-11 03:27:36