Home > Trip Reports > Corodova AK- May Ist. Day one.

Corodova AK- May Ist. Day one.

5/15/09
Posted by Scotsman on 5/2/09 12:31am
I had to come to Cordova on business and Snow Bell decided to come along on is firt visit to AK. I had contacted a skier from the TGR website who had been posting a lot of TRs and obviously knew the area. He went by the magnificent name, Leo Americus.
After a long day due to delayed flights we arrived in Cordova about 6PM.
We drove into town and decided to try and buy a map. Stores where closing but we headed into a bookstore and talked to the lady. No maps but we told her we where going skiing and she said you need to speak to Leo Americus. Good sign.

We decided to have a look around town and find Points North Heli. After driving around lost, we stopped a lady on the street and asked her for directions. She knows where it is. Joe asks her" Where's Leo", no other surname or explantion and she says he's working on his boat and lives down Whitshed road. Another good sign as the lady in the bookstore had said Whitshed road was where you access the skiing and everybody obviously knew Leo!

We drive down Whitshed road and the mountains are rising straight from the road and Joe and I are excitiedly looking at potential lines. Cell phone goes and it's Leo, " Come and pick me up and I'll show you around".

Leo is 51, small but powerful and a fisherman, surveyor and ski-bum. He lives in  a house by the water with access to incredible touring literally out his front door.
Skis and poles lie in the back of his pickup. His warehouse on his property contains a fishing boat being made from scratch by a friend. Leo has just put his gill-netter into the water for the coming fishing season.

We tour around town and we buy a pizza and six pack of beer and go to the ferry terminal and eat and drink in the SUV while Leo points out the ski routes on the magnificent mountains around town. Leo is obviously into steep skiing and has made some gnarly descents around town. He points out our destination for tomorrow, a huge 2000 ft face that angles up to 45 deg at the top and we are going to have to  boot up.!!!!

Back at his house , we meet his wife and son and he shows us pictures of some of his winter mountaineering in AK and first decents! This is a gnarly dude as some of these trips are mind blowing.

As we leave, he rushes out with a can of canned samon he caught and smoked and gives it to us for breakfast tomorrow.

We will see what the day brings but I am already amazed by the generosity of Leo and how I love this collection of nutters who love BC skiing and Alaskans in general. Joe is getting some Alaska and cant beleive his luck!

More to come if we survive.

I try to believe that jealousy is not part of my aging mind set, but now I am filled with a feeling that has to be closely described as JEALOUSY.

Have a great time, keep us updated. I love the spirit of skiing story that is unfolding, fisherman, locals on first name basis...Oh and pictures would really put this in perspective.

Ahhh ! Another great adventure !  Make it a roundtrip.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=13202.msg55004#msg55004 date=1241279183]
I try to believe that jealousy is not part of my aging mind set, but now I am filled with a feeling that has to be closely described as JEALOUSY

ditto- have fun guys!

Have fun, enjoy the loooooong days, and say "Hi" to Kevin for me.  Ask him if he'll take you to see Buddy Love at the pro shop.

-Ed

God I love AK...you haven't even posted a TR about skiing yet and I want to be there now and always...shred it up for all of us!!!

author=Moscawulff link=topic=13202.msg55033#msg55033 date=1241303868]
you haven't even posted a TR about skiing yet and I want to be there now and always...shred it up for all of us!!!

I know!  this is like a trailer for "The Movie", previews of coming attractions.  Have a great time you guys!

During my years herring fishing in PWS before the oil spill I often looked at some of those mountains and wondered about sking them.  I did ski the "ski Hill" which is a lift at the top of a residential neighborhood in town. That was in the eighties with rear entry boots and really skinny, long skis.  I hope all goes well.

We had a very long day yesterday and skied some great stuff. Leo is a mountain goat!
Joe and Leo skied what I consider a" Big Line" that was truly spectacular. I bailed half way up. We got back and Leo insisted we BBQ slamon at his house.

Too tired last night to post pictures but Joe's started a TR and wll post pics later.

We're off again this morning but I feel really beat up.
Weather clear and warm. Need to watch for wet slides.

author=Scotsman link=topic=13202.msg55058#msg55058 date=1241369694]
We're off again this morning but I feel really beat up.
Weather clear and warm. Need to watch for wet slides.

I'll cry you a river so big that the Greeners' will be designating it a salmon spawning tributary.  :D

Good to know your limit-Have a great time-Fresh Alaskan BBQ salmon, AK skiing steeps.... did I mention that I'm jealous yet?

Here a few pics of the environs.  As Chris said, we lucked out with the weather.  It was clear, sunny and warm for the entire weekend.

Cordova from the S.E. with Lake Eyak behind and Orca Inlet of Prince William Sound out front:

You could not escape the mountains of the Heney Range looming three thousand feet above town.

From behind our hotel:

and out front:

author=neil turner link=topic=13202.msg55019#msg55019 date=1241287998]
Have fun, enjoy the loooooong days, and say "Hi" to Kevin for me.  Ask him if he'll take you to see Buddy Love at the pro shop.

I think I may have seen Kevin.  Does he have a beard and a dog and a beat up truck?  He looked busy so I didn't chase him down.
The days were quite long.  It was temping to try to fill the daylight hours by skiing everything in sight but the sun and heat were having a dramatic effect on the snow and stability was an ever present concern.  Thus we were forced to dink and eat and tour the bay in the afternoon and loooooong evenings.

Reply to this TR

corodova-ak-may-ist-day-one
Scotsman
2009-05-02 07:31:33