telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/18/19, 11:41 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2009 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  Mayday - Red Breakfast
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mayday - Red Breakfast  (Read 1167 times)
JimH

Mayday - Red Breakfast
« on: 05/01/09, 12:53 PM »

Skied Red Mtn in Commonwealth Basin this morning. After looking at it 1,000 times from Central and Alpental, I figured I had to do it sooner or later.

The snow was pretty firm at 10A. A fall would not have been good, but there were a few debris-free lines that made for fun turnin'. The sun was out and I'm sure it will soften up later in the day - a stiff W breeze was slowing the thaw above tree line, but the sun is getting stronger every day. Granite might have been better since it gets more fully baked. Or I could drive to Bishop...

Down in the basin, the snow was very mushy on the return. Areas in the forest never really froze last night, though stuff in the open did.

It was a glorious day, with 5-star views of Rainier. Cool terrain very close to home. Glad I got out. Back to work now...
cesaro
5Member

Re: Mayday - Red Breakfast
« Reply #1 on: 05/03/09, 12:08 AM »

I had the same idea Friday, my first tour up Red Mt.  Nice warm sunny day.  Unfortunately got a late trailhead start 1pm.  Reached the base (5000’) of the steeper climb to summit by ~4pm, remain climbing on skins, setting a track up the SW face reaching about 5400’ before it got too soft and steep to kick turns safely (at least for me).  Started booting up lookers right in direction of rock/ridge but this was not any easier, postholing knee deep in some places.  Snow was softening up way too much so decided to start descend as I reached ~ 5700’ elevation (about 5:30pm), sh*t I hated to turn away from summit with just another 200ft to go  Sad

Ski down the SW face was a bit sticky but pretty nice turns on fat skis, occasionally thru old softened avy debris.  Wet sluff released (mainly skiers left) on the first few turns, only surface sluff.  Further down, skiers right of drainage, a 2 inch slab (4-5 ft wide) let loose and sent a good volume of snow down thru the trees.

Lots of other parties on the mt this day, a skier & boarder following my tracks up, saw 3 skiers coming down from Red at around 3pm and an overnight party of 5 on their way up as I was skiing out along Commonwealth Creek.

* 050109-096.jpg (160.58 KB, 768x576 - viewed 364 times.)

* 050109-098.jpg (189.57 KB, 768x576 - viewed 366 times.)

* 050109-102.jpg (151.4 KB, 461x614 - viewed 362 times.)
« Last Edit: 05/03/09, 12:13 AM by cesaro » Logged

"Life is vertical and there is no feeling on the face of this earth like living on the fall line." -Glen Plake
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.