Home > Trip Reports > Granite- solo dusk patrol 4/29/09

Granite- solo dusk patrol 4/29/09

4/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by skierlyles on 4/30/09 2:26pm
Hurriedly finished up my lab at UW and ran home to pack my stuff for a last minute ski of Granite. School and work have really taken a toll on my skiable hours, so I thought I would make the most of a free afternoon. Had been scoping the telemetry off and on most of the day and made a call to go ski Granite despite the potential for less than ideal conditions.

Ominous clouds loomed north of Granite but never made an assault. Started off from the car at 3:45 and made slow pace up the summer trail until snow began at ~ 3,200 feet where I began to boot uphill. Snow was not amenable to skinning in or above the forest. Boot-packed the yak-track until I found the snow unsupportable and had to set my own track. Sun really had done it's work during the day as temps were quite warm during my ascent. I attempted to skin but found myself setting off slough after slough and not getting much of anywhere. Wet slides were a concern at this point... I would advise not bothering to try and boot up the main avy chute unless it is firm. The trees provided me with enough shade to keep the snow more manageable. Once I broke above treeline the winds and clouds had started to do their magic, firming up the snowpack making the booting much more enjoyable. I had hoped that my timing would pay off as I knew the later I made my descent the better the snow would be. The snow finally turned from isothermal glop in the trees/ lower ridgeline to a slowly firming supportable surface up above by 6:30ish. I continued until the snow started to attain the desired ripeness, which was about 7:00 and 5,300 feet. Though tempted to continue to the lookout I decided that I would call it as I was solo and the snow was not getting much better than this.

The  first 1,000 feet down the main ridgeline was quite good and easily carveable re-freeze.  although I usually ski the gully (on skier's left) it still satisfied my need for turns despite it's more moderate angle. In retrospect, the stability had firmed back up enough to be skiable in the main gullies but being solo warranted a more conservative line (escape to the island of safety if necessary- ridge). The snow is holding up quite well in the 1st and  2nd gullies (skier's left- East side of ridge) along with the face to the west (skier's right). I finished it all up with a few more turns through a gloppy, sparsely snow-covered forest followed by a shoulder carry to the car.

Good times despite not having summited.

Sorry no pics but hopefully Don, Brad, and the others (Kyle and co.) who were out today can add more info/ pics.
Hi Chris, glad you had a good time yesterday. 
Yep, we left the car at about 5, and had beautiful weather all the way up.  About 7 we met Kyle and Jay headed down on boards.  They made it look easy.  We got to the lookout right about 8, the sun was still up, although the snow was starting to re-freeze.  We skied down the west slope, and the top 1500 was just amazing!!.  After that, it just got gloppy with a crust, and I went crashing, thrashing down to the treeline.  Brad the inveterate one, kept his skis on for a couple hundred yards farther.  Then we stumbled down in the dark till we hit the trail coming in from Talapus.

We saw two wet slides that went slowly down a LONG ways, still moving when the went into the trees.  We started one, and some glissaders started the other one. 

Beautiful views of Rainier and Adams, and the Snoqualmie environs.  A great sunset makes the rusty knees worth it.  Brad has some pics.

Like Chris yesterday, Don and I finally gave into the desires of skiing sunny corn snow and left town at 3:45 today. We bushwhacked the lower section of Granite, and decided this saved us up to an hour of climb time by not following the wheelchair accessible switchbacks to the snowline. We booted up the main chute and were very grateful to hit booted steps within 500 feet to the summit. As we edged up the western ridgeline we saw Kyle Miller and his buddy John rip down the central slope from the summit. The snow looked like it was producing good turns and the excitement to reach the summit grew…we topped out just before 8:00 to a wonderful alpenglow and decided we better transition quickly to savor what we may of surface corn before it was Medusified.

The top 1800 feet was fast edge-able frozen corn that sprayed, bounced, and chattered down the mountain as quickly as we did…that is until we realized that not all snow hardens equally, if at all. Around 4200 feet one ski hopping turn led into a ski sinking one, rolled me over, and started breaking the upper 6’’ of glop away and down the slope. After a short ride I decided to get off and watched the wet snow slide another 400’ down into the trees. Two climbers we met at the top were glissading down as quickly as we were skiing and hit the same level with the same effect…they were also able to roll out before getting carried away. Needless to say we tried to ski the rest of the slope with caution, but I think our skis were broken. Mine wouldn’t tele-turn, and Don’s kept diving into the snow like a submarine rather than float. If only we could invent skis to ski glop, and as I mentioned to Don on the way out, the trees, and rocks, and duff. We booted out in the dark with our headlamps, and now it’s way past my bedtime…

So here’s the photo’s you all want to see (sorry they’re not the most comprehensive, we were more focused on skiing that snapping photos of our bad-ass selves) Cheers!

http://picasaweb.google.com/powderhoar/GraniteMtApril302009?feat=directlink

Good running into your guys yesterday. Inspired by a TR from Monika and Dave_Perkins from last season, Kyle and I decided to tour From Alpental to Kaleetan and Granite. Will post more later and Kyle will as well. Agreed the top 1500-1800 of Granite was just amazing, some of the best corn I've ridden. Which was a great surprise actually. The lower sections were definitely quite gloppy. We got a little over zealous in riding down and went a little too far and had to bushwhack our way threw the woods until we hit the trail back to the car.

John

edit: Just looked at your photos, didn't realize you got some shots of us coming down. Thanks.

Nice job getting some corn y'all -- nice that the season seems to be upon us.

We bushwhacked the lower section of Granite, and decided this saved us up to an hour of climb time by not following the wheelchair accessible switchbacks to the snowline.

What was the snow cover like down low?  Those switchbacks are there for a reason eh -- lots of impact off trail, especially at Granite.

How was the season at Alpy, Brad? 

author=Marcus link=topic=13195.msg54981#msg54981 date=1241197794]
Those switchbacks are there for a reason eh -- lots of impact off trail, especially at Granite.

Yeah, we did feel a little guilty, but we tiptoed up in our approach shoes.  Coming down in the dark in our ski boots was another story, though, that's when we were stomping straight down the side of the mountain about a mile west of the trail junction.  At least then, it's mitigated by everyone spreading out and picking differnt routes down.  Word of warning accepted.  :(

Reply to this TR

granite-solo-dusk-patrol-4-29-09
skierlyles
2009-04-30 21:26:24