Home > Trip Reports > Squilchuck Basin, closed Mission Ridge ski area

Squilchuck Basin, closed Mission Ridge ski area

4/15/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by aaron_wright on 4/29/09 10:49am
The east end of the Wenatchee Mountains have recieved 18-20" of new snow since Monday afternoon. Skiing today, 4/29, was excellent. Knee deep snow, 18-20" of new over the mature spring snow pack. Dense spongy snow over the existing crust, decreasing in density nearer the surface, made for nice turns with occasional face shots. The top 6-8" was a mix of light "blower" powder and graupel. The new snow fell like a blanket with little wind affect and no observed instability. Skied mostly slopes of 30 degrees or less, will check out stability tomorrow with improved visibility. Snowed all morning, continuing  when I left at 1300. Felt like winter, would of been the best day of the year for Mission if the lifts were turning.
Ahh, I'm so envious!  I have been looking up there all day; saw the NWAC report this morning so I know it's awesome right now.  I just can't take the time off work (or from family) to make the turns.  I have a buddy that is going to be up there tomorrow though, look for 2 chocolate labs.

Way to go after it!

Today, several friends and myself headed up after work to Stevens and Cowboy Mtn..  It was nice but probably not as sweet as earlier in the day.  Great to get out and crank some turns as it has been about 3-4 weeks - yeah!

Got up there late around 17:00 on Wednesday
It had warmed up and things were a bit heavy below 5400 ft
Everything above was still cold and light
Snowing when I left @ 19:30

It was the best day at Mission this year!

Wow, crazyness.  Upper level easterlies turned the east side into the west side!

here are some pics! mucho bueno

Glad you guys finally got some snow.  I've heard that place can be pretty schweet if it ever gets coverage.  ntwatt!

Welcome rai_ferrule.

Wow, that was the snow I was hoping for.  I hit it up this past Friday, the 8th, and it was pretty manky.  The top of Bowl 4 was nice, but that's about all that can be said for the snow  ;)

Reply to this TR

squilchuck-basin-closed-mission-ridge-ski-area
aaron_wright
2009-04-29 17:49:37