Home > Trip Reports > Frisco Mountain vicinity, April 27

Frisco Mountain vicinity, April 27

4/15/09
Posted by Kyle Miller on 4/29/09 4:52am
Our original intention was to do Silver star but a local who pulled up into the Rainy pass pull off advised us otherwise as the snow was melted out at the base. Well yesterday we went over Heather pass why don€™t we go over maple pass today? From our camping spot we had an amazing view of some steep headwalls off of Frisco peak, which would be our next objective. So once again Joe (AKA snowbell) and I  packed up our gear this time a little bit slower then the day before but we were skinning by the late hour of 9:00 a.m.

The view of Frisco area from Rainy Pass

Skinning up to Maple pass was another uneventful skin but once we gained the pass the views really opened up. You could see it all Whistler and Cutthroat to the North, Black and Corneo to the west Benzinito to the South and our objective Frisco peak to the east. A satellite peak off the South ridge of Frisco caught our attention, a nice west facing ridge to some nice north facing fall line skiing it was begging for our tracks. We followed the ridge around Lake Ann to a small pass on the North side of the towering Frisco peak and rode nice corn into the Lyall glacier basin. The basin was wide open with towering rollers that would somewhat remind you of Hemi up at baker but bigger and less dramatic.

Riding down into the Lyall Glacier basin with Frisco in the background

We skinned up to a col that separated the two massive headwalls and gained us access into the maple creek drainage which we would have to use to gain access to our objective. After a 1€™000 vert traversing line we were at the base of the col switching over to crampons and Ice axes and putting our gear back onto our backs. Unlike the day before the snow had softened causing each step to sink to my shins, travel was slow and draining. From the col we traversed the ridge and boot packed straight up the eastern face to gain the summit proper.

Our Objective

The weather had started deteriorating so we didn€™t spend much time on the summit. The Western ridge delivered semi softened corn and the northern face was still somewhat frozen making the ski down interesting. Once we were back in the basin the blue sky was gone only to be replaced by dark clouds with the occasional snow flake. We quickly skinned back up to the col and switched back over to Crampons and Ice axes to ascent another 100 vert to a nice looking ridge that dropped into the Frisco basin. By this time the north facing bowl had changed from corn back to Ice and the lack of sunlight left us with a 3€™000 vert line of flat light. We took advantage of the fall line and rode all the way down to Rainy lake navigating through a semi hairy cliffed out cirque then all the way back down to the road.

Looking back from Rainy Lake at the Cirque and Frisco Peak

Same TR with way more pics
Nice trip! Skiing Lyall is great, way to navigate the cliff band, does not show many ways through that rock.

We were a bit lucky to come across that shelf down to Rainy Lake.  It was refrozen solid and littered with debris but it went.  I wouldn't count on that route being skiable for long though.  Maybe another week or two.

Thanks for bringing the steeze and for putting up the TRs Kyle.  I had a good time and was thrilled to get out there in good vis.  The possibilities seem endless.  So many good lines on so many proud peaks makes me anxious to get at them.

Corteo and the Lewis Glacier might be a good place to start...

Reply to this TR

frisco-mountain-vicinity-april-27
Kyle Miller
2009-04-29 11:52:07