Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2009, Source Lake to Great Scott bowl

April 27, 2009, Source Lake to Great Scott bowl

4/27/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cesaro on 4/27/09 3:53pm
Wet snow falling as I left parking lot (mid 40s deg), turned to graupel on the approach to Source Lake, then to snow flurries (pretty steady at times) by 4400€™ (upper 30s deg) heading S, up right-side of main SL drainage (huggin trees).  Snowed from ~noon until 2:30 with 1-1.5 inch accum on top of graupel layer.  Well lubricated layer between granular and base, making skinning/edging across steeper terrain on traverses rather tricky (had to be sure to edge all the way into base past lubricated layer or fresh layer would easily slide).  Skis cleared a bit (some sun) while in Great Scott bowl, up to saddle, then visibility got variable as more clouds rolled in.

Ski down offered some fun turns, staying skiers left, nice fresh 1-2 inch snow (soft on firm base) from early afternoon, until last 400€™ from SL basin when it turned gloppy/slushy, as was the ski track back out to upper lot. 

Big & wide wet avy debris (at least few days old?) litters the lower E and SE aspects around SL basin.  I had intended to climb up to Chair Peak basin and descend into Snow Lake, but with all the debris, opted to stay on a N aspect.
The slides were there on Sunday when I made the trek back.  We also skied skier's left (is that 'no fog') between the depo zones, that was the second best line of the day.

Reply to this TR

april-27-2009-source-lake-to-great-scott-bowl
cesaro
2009-04-27 22:53:33