Home > Trip Reports > April 24-26, 2009, Buttermilks, Eastern Sierra

April 24-26, 2009, Buttermilks, Eastern Sierra

4/24/09
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 4/27/09 12:04pm
Jill and I met Bryan and Carol in The Buttermilks for some spring touring.  The touring in the Buttermilks is pretty much over for normal folks.  The snowpack south of Mammoth is supposedly 50% of normal and the bouldering crowd is enjoying the area.  I posted a couple of photos from our campsite which indicates how low the snow coverage is in this area.  From Mammoth north the snowpack is about normal and that's where we are touring now.  And then there's Tioga Pass.  ;D
Wow, gorgeous.  Never been down there...

When are you back north?  I'd still like to pick your brain re: SA.  Course, if I were you, I'd stay down there a while yet :)

author=Zap link=topic=13156.msg54811#msg54811 date=1240887867]
The touring in the Buttermilks is pretty much over for normal folks.

Can I therefore infer that you had to walk on a substance other than snow to reach your skiing destination?

Looking forward to hearing about your travels over the coming weeks! I'm heading down to Sacramento next weekend, and we'll have to decide between volcanoes to the North or Sierra adventures...

Happy turns and safe travels! :).

Thanks for the pics Zap. I skied Mammoth a lot in the early eighties but have not been back. It’s nice to remember how beautiful that eastern Sierra is  :)

Reply to this TR

april-24-26-2009-buttermilks-eastern-sierra
Zap
2009-04-27 19:04:27