Home > Trip Reports > April 26, Cutthroat SE Bowl (north cascades)

April 26, Cutthroat SE Bowl (north cascades)

4/15/09
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Kevin Steffa on 4/27/09 9:09am
About a mile before Washington Pass, there is an obvious avalanche path that comes down from Cutthroat peak clear to the road. The left side (whistler mountain) had ripped clean in the last avi cycle, and the piles of debris are 10' high, though did not appear to bridge the creek!

The right side offers more moderate south facing terrain, especially turning the corner to more mellow slopes to the east of cutthroat. Great corn consistency and smooth surface all the way to the ridgetop.

Of note: there is no easy way to actually cross the cutthroat ridge East to West north of the summit, while one can ascend a notch from the west bowl, it drops off with option of an overhanging cornice or a cliff face on the east side. Also note that the creek bridges and the lower hundred feet might melt out pretty soon.
Thanks for the report -- how did coverage look overall up near the pass/hairpin?  Average for the year?

Hey Kevin,
Did you take any pics of the East side of Cutthroat?

I didn't get as far as the hairpin... though looking at the shoulder of mt. hardy, its looking a little thin there, bare on the lower 500' of the shoulder next to swamp creek. Pictures coming soon - I haven't unpacked my camera yet...

author=Marcus link=topic=13154.msg54807#msg54807 date=1240883850]
Thanks for the report -- how did coverage look overall up near the pass/hairpin?  Average for the year?

Looked to be good coverage on the east side of wa pass. ~5' of snow on Sunday. Cool weather the next few days may save it for good conditions this weekend.

Reply to this TR

april-26-cutthroat-se-bowl-north-cascades
Kevin Steffa
2009-04-27 16:09:20