Home > Trip Reports > April 24, Enchantment Lakes

April 24, Enchantment Lakes

4/15/09
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Mark M on 4/27/09 3:37am
Matt, Todd and I headed to the Enchantment Lakes via Asgaard pass on Friday.  We were surprised to find the 8-mile road open and driveable to within roughly one mile of the Stuart Lake trailhead.  We were also surprised to find less snow than we had hoped for, and abandoned plans to try to descend via Cannon Mountan, which appeared to be completely bare below the couloir.  Instead, after climbing Asgaard pass we toured into the Enchantment Lakes basin to see the sights and returned the way we came.  It was a bit of work to get up there, but the scenery and weather were amazingly good, and we had some really nice turns on corn coming down the lower part of Asgaard Pass.  A great day in the mountains!  There were a few bare spots here and there, but coverage on the trail and road allowed us to skin/ski pretty much all the way from the car. 

A full trip report by Matt, complete with photos and video are here:  http://coachingendurance.com/blog/2009/04/13-hours-of-enchantment.shtml
Nice flick ! Nice tour ! Could better time have been made booting or crampooning earlier and leaving more time for exploring?  Just asking.
Really, your whole effort makes want to take off work tomorrow so I am appreciative.

author=Robie link=topic=13147.msg54813#msg54813 date=1240890055]
Could better time have been made booting or crampooning earlier and leaving more time for exploring?  Just asking.

Up to Colchuck lake I actually think skinning was pretty efficient.  The video shows the trickier bits (bridges, bare spots, etc,) but for the most part the trail was in decent shape for skinning and boots tended to posthole in the crust.   Asgaard pass was frozen hard in the morning and cramponing was probably the most efficient way to go there, but we were short a pair of crampons in the group, so I continued to skin up.  I agree we might have saved some time if we all cramponed up to the pass from the lake. 

Mark ,Thanks for the reply  it will be helpful so we can maximize skiing time.

aah, so it was your boot pack I followed up on Sunday up Asgard. Thanks for putting those in. Good call on not descending via cannon. I almost wish I had made that call...

Reply to this TR

april-24-enchantment-lakes
Mark M
2009-04-27 10:37:51