Home > Trip Reports > Fitzsimmons - it sucked donkey April 24, 2009

Fitzsimmons - it sucked donkey April 24, 2009

4/15/09
Posted by LeeLau on 4/26/09 3:40pm

We skied the N face of Fitzsimmons yesterday - total tour was about 2700m vert, 36km distance and 16.5 hours for most of us (I cut out 2km and 250m of vert). The icy crust was terrifying. It received a combination of rain, suncrust and (probably) also got cleaned out by slides. It was an intense experience to say the least.

* Good news: No avalanche danger
    * Bad news: High probability of losing an edge on barely penetrable slopes and going for 2,000 foot ride down 55 degrees ice

More - http://www.leelau.net/2009/fitz2009_04_25/

Holy Hannah, what an epic! Sliding down that face does not look like a pleasant prospect

Well, can't say that looks like fun... Great job staying not-dead!

A good case for climbing the route before skiing it. Glad everyone stayed upright!

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the Play?

Thanks for the laugh this morning Lee.  Good luck next time.

Gregg

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=13143.msg54765#msg54765 date=1240848747]
A good case for climbing the route before skiing it. Glad everyone stayed upright!

Darn straight.  I thought we'd be OK because there were a few N facing slopes to assess conditions before we got there.  Same aspect and all that but that turned out to be a bad guess.  Another thing I could have done is climb in roped and climbed out again but I never ever guess it would be such poo.  We had good looks at the face a few times on the way and I know this sounds stupid - but it looked fine.

Coaching - there's no way a whippet would have helped on that thing arresting.  I've used them before and they're fine for climbing but arresting downhill -  not a freaking chance.

Nice mellow meadow-skipping Coleman - Demming routes for me for rest of year

C'mon now, Lee.  This is shoulder season.  Real steep skiing season hasn't even started!

author=skykilo link=topic=13143.msg54769#msg54769 date=1240851501]
Real steep skiing season hasn't even started!

I took some pics of some SICK looking couloirs yesterday that someone of your ability and caliber might be interested in Sky. Requires a few raps into a few of them...

http://www.vimeo.com/4369411

Reply to this TR

fitzsimmons-it-sucked-donkey-april-24-2009
LeeLau
2009-04-26 22:40:53