Home > Trip Reports > April 22-23, 2009, Sasse Ridge

April 22-23, 2009, Sasse Ridge

4/22/09
Posted by Larry_R on 4/25/09 12:01am
I decided to go back to Sasse Ridge one last time for this ski season. There was enough snow on the road to ski right from the parking lot, with only a few short ski carries. Below about 2800 feet however the coverage is very thin, and by this weekend I would expect that it would be necessary to carry the skis to that elevation.

It had been very warm earlier in the week, and I doubted that the snow would have set up at night, so I thought I would take a chance Wed - Thurs. based on the forecast. On Wednesday the snow was quite rotten. Up to my hips rotten without skis on in the afternoon. By late afternoon it was partly clear, and by evening the surface had started to freeze. Thursday morning it was 24 degrees, snowing lightly with 2 inches new. See the chart below. I managed to luck out on the weather.

As you might imagine, this made for a near perfect run down the frontside. Smooth as silk, but the sun cups started showing up at 4300 feet. I think they will migrate up the hill quite rapidly now. At this point, I don't think it's worth trying to ski below 3000 feet,  and the higher one can start the better.

Larry

Reply to this TR

april-22-23-2009-sasse-ridge
Larry_R
2009-04-25 07:01:47