Home > Trip Reports > April 18, 2009, Mt Hood, South-side Old Chute

April 18, 2009, Mt Hood, South-side Old Chute

4/18/09
OR Mt Hood
Posted by iliketoski on 4/20/09 1:04pm
On Saturday morning four of us started up Mt. Hood.  2 on Skis, 2 w/o.  We started moving at 5:30 AM, and the two of us on skins skinned up to the top of the chairs no problem. Above that it got rather icy and we decided to carry our skis. There was a solid boot trail up to the summit from the top of the chair, but it was useful when ascending the old-chute to use ice axe and crampons.  We skied off the summit, but the chute was really less than desirable skiing.  No slides, rock, or ice fall, but it was certainly warming up when we skied off the top!  The skiing was decent, it would be hard to truly complain (Hit summit around 10:30, skied off around 11:30, back before 12:30).  A little bird told us that going down skiers right of crater rock was much better and so we did.  It would be wise to be aware of an overhang and mini-bergshrund on that route.  Overall great day!
Welcome to the board.
Watch out for what the little birdie tells you.
Sexy skis.

Nice work, one of my favorite days on skis was last year on hood. I'm a bit confused about the mini-'shrund that you mention...is this the one that normally opens near the top of the normal climber's route, or is there another one that you saw on your way down, skiers right of crater rock? Similarly, where is the overhang? I'm hoping to get to Hood in the next couple of weeks.

Watch out for what the little birdie tells you.

Agreed.

Side note: similar picture below. Even June last year the snowpack at the top is noticably more in the the below picture, judging by the amount of exposed rock.

Reply to this TR

april-18-2009-mt-hood-south-side-old-chute
iliketoski
2009-04-20 20:04:00