Home > Trip Reports > 4/19/09-Muir, Nisqually Chutes to the bridge

4/19/09-Muir, Nisqually Chutes to the bridge

4/19/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skierlyles on 4/19/09 1:03pm
The mountain was out in all her splendor today, sending ufo's off her summit all morning long. Weather dissuaded alot of climbers from summit attempts. We saw quite a procession coming down after the morning's attempts. One group mentioned they had went as high as 13,000 feet before turning back.

Joe Bell, Dave Coombs and I all headed out from the 512 park and ride after rousing Joe from his truck. Seems like I missed a good party last night :) After leaving late we arrived to a closed Longmire gate and luckily did not have to wait long for it to open. Opened at 8:30, not too bad. Line of cars made their way up and before long everyone was off to the races up the Muir snowfield.

Started off pretty warm at the parking lot, then became surprisingly cold and windy as we gained elevation. This was good for the snow as we were worried about the warming temps rapidly mucking up the chutes we planned to ski. We continued past the drop in for the chutes and decided that the snow would stay cold enough and would hold until after we made it to Muir. Made it up to Muir in respectable time and made our descent around 12:30 in a quickly warming environment. Snow on the way up varied between melting crust, supportable crust, mashed potatoes, proto corn, and windbuffed powder. Wind action across the snowfield was quite apparent but sculpted an  easily skiable surface. The waves scattered across the snowfield were powdery enough to be enjoyable and easily breakable when there was not a smooth surface to ski on. We made quick work down the snowfield to 8,300 and the entrance to the Chutes. Did a few ski cuts across the upper section back towards the safety of the rocks and decided the stability was good enough to go. Temps were quickly rising and many previous point releases from the rocks were evident as we made our descent. No sloughing of concern was noted, and what did slide were merely rollers with no accumulation of material. Ski down the chutes was fun on a slightly toasted snowpack with 2-4 inches of ski penetration. As we skied down towards the flats of the glacier the snow got noticeably heavier, I sure could have used a fresh wax job last night...

Made our way down to the bridge and bumped into Jarvis, Jeaneatte and company. Beers were had in the sunshine- good times. Good to see you guys!

Nice day to be on the mountain.

Chris
Thanks for the TR Chris, sorry to not have rousted ourselves out of bed this morning and made it up to join you guys... Joe, I don't know how you did it! Next time. Next time.  :)

Interesting that it wasn't THAT windy on the muir snowfield - we were across the nisqually having a go at the finger and got to about 9,400 feet before we could barely stand up.

Nice work guys!
With Crystal closing I'm gonna have to get on my touring boots and try and keep up with you guys.

Glad you guys had a good trip!  I'll hopefully be able to join you next time Joe!  Fun hanging out at the ski chicas though!

Good TR & photos.
Will the Nisqually be passable for a while linger?  I've not been up there in months.

Mack- the chute proper looks like it will be good for awhile. The route along the river to the bridge is a different story. Getting pretty close to the rocky walls with a small ribbon to ski along close to the bridge. You could still ski the chutes and climb out to Pan Point for the foreseeable future though...

author=Eli3 link=topic=13077.msg54456#msg54456 date=1240204441]
Interesting that it wasn't THAT windy on the Muir snowfield - we were across the nisqually having a go at the finger and got to about 9,400 feet before we could barely stand up.

That is why I ski on heavy skis and boots.  It helps keep me bottom side down.   ;D
The wind was a bit much.  I was curious to check the telemetry recordings and see just how strong some of the gusts were but it seems to have been (and still is) offline.  I'll guess at 40mph to 50mph.  It threatened my balance one or twice and took my hat just below Muir, but it held the snow as Chris noted and kept us cool on the climb.  Aside from the wind the cloud formations were quite dramatic.  The "flying saucer" hovered over all day.

author=Stugie link=topic=13077.msg54478#msg54478 date=1240251216]
Glad you guys had a good trip! I'll hopefully be able to join you next time Joe! Fun hanging out at the ski chicas though!

For sure Stugie.  Anytime that it doesn't interupt your sleep schedule.  Ski chica throws good parties.  You missed the pizzas.

author=Teleskichica link=topic=13077.msg54454#msg54454 date=1240200970]
sorry to not have rousted ourselves out of bed this morning and made it up to join you guys... Joe, I don't know how you did it!

Clean livin'   ;D

Reply to this TR

4-19-09-muir-nisqually-chutes-to-the-bridge
skierlyles
2009-04-19 20:03:09