Home > Trip Reports > April 18 -Tremor, Pattison, Decker (w jdclimber)

April 18 -Tremor, Pattison, Decker (w jdclimber)

4/15/09
Posted by LeeLau on 4/19/09 7:54am
Hooked up with Justin for a tour to the Blackcomb Backcountry.

He was itching to do a one-day Spearhead but I convinced him that touring to and skiing off N facing peaks would result in a ski experience that would satisfy his needs as opposed to tromping around flat glaciers.

We hit Decker, Trorey, Pattison and Tremor.  While Justin skied off the N face of Tremor I sketched down the Hourglass face.  Sluff management was definitely the order of the day

Lee,
Thanks for generating that big grin on Justin's face.  He needed a break from his serious training to pull the keg uphill for the Crystalfest.  I'm pleased to see that he'll be available for that important task.  ;)

That does look a little sketch - nice job!

Wow.  Impressed.  :)

Amazing day, without a doubt, the best day of the year, although there are about 10 other days that are tied for a close 2nd. Huge thank you to Lee who lead the way and knows the place like the back of his hand and was a most gracious host, even insisting I got the first tracks on the last run of the day.
I am forever humbled by the people I meet on T.A.Y. so many high caliber people who are in love with the mountains, and not into flaming at the keyboard. Yet again inspired by the psych of the high places and the people who frequent them.
Can't wait to get back out again.

Wow. Slack-country extraordinaire. Thanks for the stoke.

What does a Backcountry Access ticket cost these days?

Also, What's the easiest way to pick one up? Can you get one at the Blackcomb Base or do you have to find someone at a Guest Relations office somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I suddenly need to visit Whistler again this spring.

Jim - I don't actually know the price.  Something like $40?  They raised the price because a lot of people were abusing the honour system and skiing inbounds on it.

You can buy the tickets at customer service at Blackcomb or Whistler Base.  You have to show you have avalanche gear (nothing about how to use it though or training) and then sign a waiver.  I understand it takes some time

edit - i put more pictures and description at TGR to not violate forum rules

Thanks Lee. Great info. We'll build some extra time into our schedule to deal with the ticket.

Thanks again for the TR, here and on TGR (full audio, extended re-mix version...crank it up).  Awesome as usual.

author=LeeLau link=topic=13076.msg54600#msg54600 date=1240420449]
Jim - I don't actually know the price.  Something like $40?  They raised the price because a lot of people were abusing the honour system and skiing inbounds on it.

You can buy the tickets at customer service at Blackcomb or Whistler Base.  You have to show you have avalanche gear (nothing about how to use it though or training) and then sign a waiver.  I understand it takes some time

I've had good luck getting the BC ticket promptly in the morning.  You have to go through the Guest Services line.  I recall it is about $45, at a price point where it is a real question whether to use an EDGE card day (cost not much more than that) because if some circumstance caused you to bail on the BC, you would still have a valid ticket.  In November we bailed back to lift skiing due to poor coverage OB and I was glad I had a valid ticket for the day (when you buy the BC ticket you agree that if they catch you doing laps in bounds, you owe them $500).  The BC ticket rule is that you must take the single most direct route to your place of BC entry, such as Whistler Gondola and then Harmony or Peak.

Reply to this TR

april-18-tremor-pattison-decker-w-jdclimber
LeeLau
2009-04-19 14:54:09