Home > Trip Reports > Mt Catherine, April 16, 2009, - Snowmobile question

Mt Catherine, April 16, 2009, - Snowmobile question

4/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by russ on 4/16/09 2:28pm
With low expectations Chris M. and I did a lap on Mt Catherine. The snow pack is really starting to condense. Skinning was on firm snow until we hit the bench at 3,900 ft, then it was penetrating 3-4 inches until the last 4-500 ft to the summit.  The most remarkable thing was how wet we got from the sun melting the snow in the trees - it was like walking through a rain shower.

Beautiful views from the summit - looking north we had fun naming all the peaks we could. I have only been on Catherine in near white out conditions, so it was particularly cool the see Big Snow Mt framed by Lundin Peak on the left and Red Mt on the right.

I'm not particularly anti-snowmobile, but I was surprised to see the highing pointing tracks in the Silver Peak basin. Don't know how well this photo will come out, but it's the east aspect of the north ridge. I've never seen evidence of snowmobiles on Silver, does anyone know if this within their designated area?

Regardless of the legalities, of which I am ignorant, that snomo action completely sucks.  I am not a super skier like some on this board but I really enjoy the Silver Peak area a lot.  It's a minature mountain and sharing it with those machines would ruin a tour.

I would think that snowmobiles can go up cold creek because there is a logging road there in the summer (when nordic center is shut down), but, silver should be off limits, due to fact that it is in a wilderness area I believe (PCT runs right through there).  Biler's have plenty of terrain across the freeway @ gold creek, it's too bad to see that going on.

This has been coming up for the past bunch of years right after the ski areas close. In one of the past threads I think someone weighed in with apparent authority regarding legalities here, but I forget which way that discussion led.

I just hope the tracks sort of fade back by the time FR9070 melts to Windy Pass. They usually mostly do.

If it is wilderness, they are not allowed.. I don't think there is much that can be done about it though.  They know they aren't supposed to be there, so you wouldn't be able to approach them.  Maybe call the ranger from a cell phone or something???  Who the hell would you call?

It's not wilderness, nor is it water shed.

I live at the pass, and snomoblie, and ski tour alot,  and everyone has a different opinion on this I have run into alot of poeple that work at the ski area that are on a power trip and say no,  but I see people all summer on forest service roads on dirt bikes.  In my opinion snomobiling is legal at silver peak and you need to stop posting this on line so I can continue to high point the bowl and tour the south and east side

Articatt,  is it your opinion that it is legal or is it the area actually open (by means of legal mandate) to snowmobiles?

author=arcticcat2 link=topic=13055.msg54585#msg54585 date=1240377862]
I live at the pass, and snomoblie, and ski tour alot,  and everyone has a different opinion on this I have run into alot of poeple that work at the ski area that are on a power trip and say no,  but I see people all summer on forest service roads on dirt bikes.  In my opinion snomobiling is legal at silver peak and you need to stop posting this on line so I can continue to high point the bowl and tour the south and east side

You can ride all you want on USFS roads with a bike as long is it's street legal. There used to be restrictions while the Nordic Center is in operation regarding snowmobile use. At  one time there was a sign by the Treatment Plant and another on the USFS road that you enter in Hyak explaining it.

The ski area has a seasonal use permit for the nordic center.
While the permit is effective, they set the rules.
Their rules state no snowmobiles.
Their permit expires on April 15th, at which point they suspend operations.
At which point their rules no longer apply.
The area in question is USFS.
It is not wilderness or watershed and as such is technically not off limits to motorized travel.

author=gravitymk link=topic=13055.msg54594#msg54594 date=1240415045]

Their rules state no snowmobiles.
Their permit expires on April 15th, at which point they suspend operations.

author=snoqpass link=topic=13055.msg54605#msg54605 date=1240424285]

Picture isn't very clear...
Is that some kind of hand signal?
Or maybe some obscure Hyak gang sign?

I think he is pickin his nose.  Or he might be smelling his finger after pulling it out of his..  Uh..  Nevermind, we aren't supposed to talk like that on TAY right...  ;)

Reply to this TR

mt-catherine-april-16-2009-snowmobile-question
russ
2009-04-16 21:28:30