Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2009, ABC, SGYD

April 15, 2009, ABC, SGYD

4/15/09
Canada BC
Posted by wolfs on 4/15/09 10:06am
ABC==Alpental Backcountry
SGYD==Shoulda gone yesterday ... dumbass
(or for those that prefer the Elizabethan version: Alas, Alackaday .... Dumbe-Ass)

Started from Lot 4 7:30ish. Right away noticed eveything was crusty. I mean everything. Drat. SGYD.

Followed existing skintrack up the valley and thence up to Pineapple Basin and Col. Was thankful that I did not have to break my own breakable crust.

Finally, half way up Basin, crust relented. Took 3 little laps, 2 from just below Pineapple Pass entrance. Powder it was not. More like a soft skiable windslab. But note the word 'skiable'. And therefore fun. Basin was a little microclimate that was foggy and 15 degrees colder than elsewhere. Thank god for that, maybe is what saved it. Bryant was shedding snow most vocally, and anything that had got much sun was clinkered up thataways including the gully.

As I left saw one other solo skier. In hopes that the rock walls that overhang Stokes had provided some anticrust shade, I made the short climb out of basin and over DD ridge to get there. About the top 700' was still nice, even in spots that had not as much shade. But as soon as it got to the flats where you need to go skiers right to get on the ramp, things got less good. Then bad. Then downright nasty (isothermal glop so deep I fell once because leaned on a pole just a little and it disappeared to the hilt.) Back to lot 4 round 11. HOT. Trees raining crap.

Lift riders tomorrow may need to be prepared for some disappointment. SGDBY. Oh ... except they weren't running the lifts then  >:(
author=wolfs link=topic=13023.msg54310#msg54310 date=1239843960]
... SGYD==Shoulda gone yesterday ... dumbass ...

;D ;D ;D  I'll try to remember SGYD; it's my mantra for fishing and skiing ...

Thanks for the report. Tuesday was the day and the lifts were running at Crystal and it was good. Not great as it could have been smoother, but still dry and knee + deep. Was thinking about heading up Wed to ski the ABC but had to work (darn that making money stuff). Deciding to go ride some lifts at the Alp this am, gonna go based on the "top 700' was nice". I'm sick, someone help me  ;D

we did alpental after work.  Should've been there earlier since the refrozen snow made for a nasty crust on the way down.  Left the upper gunmount at rollen at about 7:50 for some *twilight* turns. 

It's always more fun trying to huck stuff when there's an unpredictable crust and it's too dark to see the landing well.  ;)

Good times.

Reply to this TR

april-15-2009-abc-sgyd
wolfs
2009-04-15 17:06:00