Home > Forum > K2 8611's

K2 8611's

• Zippy_the_Pinhead
  • [Zippy_the_Pinhead]
More
03 Mar 2004 10:09 #168999 by Zippy_the_Pinhead
K2 8611's was created by Zippy_the_Pinhead
Those of you skiing the 8611, what do you think of it compared to the Shuksan...this years model? ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2004 01:45 #169002 by chimowa
Replied by chimowa on topic Re: K2 8611's
I ski on the original 8611(the red ones). It is a bit soft, but that is probably one of the sacrifices for having a fairly light weight ski. I believe that some changes were made since the ski I have was produced. I have been looking at the Shuksan since it is a bit wider. I believe its also a bit stiffer as well. Any further thoughts on the new ones would be appreciated.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
05 Mar 2004 04:16 #169004 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: K2 8611's
I can't say that I have skied it, but two talented BC skiers I was out with recently were on Shuksans with dynafit bindings. They both raved about this year's Shuksan. Similiar to the world piste but lighter. I was hoping to find a pair for cheap this spring.

• Zippy_the_Pinhead
  • [Zippy_the_Pinhead]
More
05 Mar 2004 04:41 #169005 by Zippy_the_Pinhead
Replied by Zippy_the_Pinhead on topic Re: K2 8611's
Thanks for the feedback. <br> I too am hoping to find a good deal on some Shuksans this spring. Stumbled on a couple pairs of the 8611's at the Seattle REI going for $250.00 and was tempted to buy.

More
08 Mar 2004 17:58 #169021 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: K2 8611's
I have skied a pair of the red 8611's with Dynafit TLT bindings for the past 3 years. They are great in powder and corn conditions. The ski is ideal for slalom turns in tight terrain. <br><br>Zap

• JKordel
  • [Alpentrol]
More
09 Mar 2004 03:56 #169026 by JKordel
Replied by JKordel on topic Re: K2 8611's
I have a pair of 190 2 yr old Shuksan's mounted tele and a pair of this years 181 Summits mounted with Dynafits. I really like the way the Shuksans ski and believe that the metal in them does help at speed. <br><br>However the Summits are definitely lighter and great for touring and in fact ski far better than I had anticipated. If you want a light, good climbing ski then consider the Summit since it is pretty good in all conditions except boilerplate and bottomless. The Shuksans would be better in more challenging ski conditions. If long tours or climbing performance is secondary in importance go with the Shuksans.

• Gregg_C
  • [Gregg_C]
More
09 Mar 2004 04:45 #169027 by Gregg_C
Replied by Gregg_C on topic Re: K2 8611's
I was thinking of getting a pair of 8611's for my wife. Would this make a good ski for someone who has skied groomed runs most of her life and starting out in the backcountry?<br><br>You can pick up a pair for 2 bills from Mountain Gear.<br><br>Gregg

More
09 Mar 2004 14:52 #169030 by wolfs
Replied by wolfs on topic Re: K2 8611's
I'm skiing Shuksan/Dynafit and enjoying it greatly (still having some issues w getting into bindings but I attribute that to pilot error). Not sure of what year the Shuksans are, they are from the Fife Outlet Frenzy of last year and are either 2001 or 2002.<br>I don't have any experience w the 8611s. But the 8611s are so cheap now that it's tempting to just buy them, sight unseen. And maybe swap things around so that the light Dynafits are on those and maybe put Naxo's on the Shuksans for the all too typical challenge day in the Cascade conditions.