Home > Trip Reports > April 14, 2009, Slot

April 14, 2009, Slot

4/14/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jdclimber on 4/14/09 8:12am
Slot skied well.
We dug pit about 100 ft into Slot, had some interesting layers of soft slab. Most concerning was about 30 cm down, CT 13, Q1 shear. But there were also releases at about 8 cm and another at 12-15 CM, neither as clean, all layers from current storm cycle. Rain crust was obvious and appeared to be bridging well.
We skied the slope and managed much sluffing but no slab issues, slab did not seem to be stiff enough to propagate.
On the approach (southwest facing I believe), last 300 ft (roughly 5900-6200 ft) below the drop point was a little sporty, some whumping and care was taken to mitigate exposure.
Back in cubicle by noon, showered.
OK so I a bit confused as to why you dug a pit in the slot 100 ft down.  If you thought it might go why would you go down.    A snow pit is only one tool for assessing stability.  With the dogleg and islands of safety that can act as an eddie in the case of an avalanche there are a couple of outs.  The Slot isn't really a place, in my opinion, where you want to be hanging out in.  The Slot is narrow enough and digging a pit for another skier to fall into isn't very cool.

I'm glad someone got some great skiing in today! Hopefully the next few days hold up?

author=jdclimber link=topic=13018.msg54266#msg54266 date=1239750745]much sluffing but no slab issues

Almost all filled in for skiers #5 and #6! Good to see you, and thanks for the sweet uptrack!

The pit was dug to assess stability, which of course is an ongoing process. Ski cuts were also used, plus probing of the snowpack, as was evaluation of the NWAC forecast and evaluation of the telemetry include precip and wind direction.  The location of the pit was  in an area that is both the steepest part of the slope (so it would likely represent a worst case in terms of stability) and is in an “island of safety”, so is relatively safe for hanging out which was why it was chosen. The Go/No Go decision was made continuously and the option of hiking out was on the table throughout the ascent and descent, just because we thought it would not go when we hopped in at the top does not preclude additional and continuous evaluation of risk and consequence.

As to the “uncoolness” of the location of said pit, I might add that is it out of the way and one would have to work really hard to find it, and even harder to fall into it, since it is mostly covered/demolished (as is good backcountry etiquette).

I hope the information shared in this post is of value to the community, as that is my intent.

Was fun to see you Greg, glad you had fun in that magical place. Were you lucky enough to see  the coolest snowpit ever?  ;D

Thanks for the report and the conditions info. 

If anyone can get out tomorrow (Wed), there are some other fun, steep  n. facing chutes in the area that I'd like to ride, but my partner had to bail.  ;D

Snowseeker funny...make me giggle

I agree with jdclimber and their groups decision to dig a pit. Many of the areas that I and others ski have ascents that differ from the descents. And while we all make observations throughout the climb; some of the most necessary evaluations made are at the most inopportune moments of skiing or riding (due to the particular aspect/slope/steepness/terrain). Not to mention to each his(her) own.

BTW - I'd like to get out Thursday afternoon if anyone else is up for it (Snoqualmie area)...

Slot sounds fun!  Just to offer another aspect (north) for snow conditions… I took a quick skin up to the top of Apental chair 2 after work today (5:30ish), good skin track in place along ridge left of chair 2.  Some tracks about, looks like a few got up there today.
Alpental is reporting 9” at base in 2 days but much much more up top and maybe couple ft deep with wind deposited.  Did not see much evidence of recent avy activity up there, some good wind deposit and cornices though.
Powder looked great on upper nash, still dry with some mild wind crust, came down Adrenalin in wind pack powder but very nice for steep turns.
Getting into lower nash, snow got a lot more crusty with wetter cement beneath, yikes (I bet is was much better earlier in the morning).
Finished by way of Sessel which was heavy snow but no crust and very skiable/carvable with a little effort.
Wow, a range of snow conditions in that short descent  ;D

author=jdclimber link=topic=13018.msg54288#msg54288 date=1239766594">Were you lucky enough to see  the coolest snowpit ever?  ;D

No, all we saw was this.

BTW, the first 100 feet of the Slot before the rollover are quite low angle, not at all representative of the remainder of the run.

Nice work Justin, glad you got a good ski in.  I know plenty of folks who've dug their pits down there, as (like Greg says) the upper section doesn't really represent the rest of the pitch.  We're not talking a rutschblock pit here -- easy to cover up and/or ski through.  Nice job mitigating the risk and thanks for the conditions report.

The original post is a great example of the right way to evaluate instability.

author=gregL link=topic=13018.msg54286#msg54286 date=1239766161]
Almost all filled in for skiers #5 and #6! Good to see you, and thanks for the sweet uptrack!

figure I'd jump on this TR train too  8)

Our party of three went up just after skiers # 5 and #6.  Hoped to ski the Crooked but no vis for the entrance.  Couldn't get any cornices to kick down but we opted for the more assured way.  Plus my trooper girlfriend has a little baby at home.  Had never skied the slot after so many skiers so it surprised me we still got face shots. 

thanks for the pit! --never saw evidence of it

Reply to this TR

april-14-2009-slot
jdclimber
2009-04-14 15:12:25