Home > Trip Reports > April 12 Paradise delivers!

April 12 Paradise delivers!

4/15/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 4/12/09 2:13pm
Woke up and "Oh my" forcast was dismal. On a day like this, why is there always 3 or 4  forcasts. Why can't it be simple like "don't go you won't like it or" Go it'll be fun  " . Reluctently I loaded my gear while waiting for phone calls from partners calling my bluff. No phone calls and they were all there at the meeting spot. Hmm, looks like we were going. Oh yes Gary Vogt decided to sit it out warm and toasty and dry at the Sheetmetal Ski lodge. That alone should have been enough to turn us around.
We drove up out of the rain to Narada falls where the snow started in earnest.  Actually it was rain disguising it self as snow we just didn't figure that out till much later.
  Ok, Anita ,Deb ,Jeff,Ken and myself headed up Edith basin and toured east to ski Bundy's slope staying near trees for visibility .Musta got 4 runs in wet heavy water disquised a snow. 6" of the stuff  and the weight of it was too
much for the bond. On a 35* south facing pitch I set off a 20 ' wide wet slide that ran for 40 ' . The most upsetting thing was that every time I reached out for a pole plant I could fell this big squish of wet gear. Again it was snowing ,snowing heavy had been snowing heavy and not raining.
To add inult to injury the Paradise river road was being plowed which forced us to make our retreat back up Bundys and shussed out via Edith basin. We did have fun and we skied but never have I seen 5 people so wet.  My car is now a sponge. Jeff and  I decided it was "Hammaker" kind of day. Meaning no matter how adverse it was fun. And all storys must end good We drove back to Gary Vogt's who was still warm and toasty and knowingly shared his wood stove with with us.
Thanks, Robie!  I was kicking myself for not getting up there (had a back episode for the last week), wimping out, saying oh, my back ... I'd better not stress it.  Now I know I was wise not wimpy :-)

Thanks for the report on the premature Valley Road plowing, Robie.  I'll shovel a staircase at 4th Crossing today or tomorrow.  I must say the hardcore looked rather soggy around the edges when you returned...

Reply to this TR

april-12-paradise-delivers
Robie
2009-04-12 21:13:04