Home > Trip Reports > April 11, 2009, Swauth Couloir

April 11, 2009, Swauth Couloir

4/11/09
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 4/11/09 10:28am
After a very good time at Snowball yesterday plans were made with indecisiveness that only a high freezing level and possibility of rain can induce.  Monika, Joe, and I met at the leisurely time of 8 am and headed E on 2.  Possibilities were discussed; ski area, tour out to Josephine Lake, Lichtenberg, Rock Mountain, but weather kept improving so we kept driving E.  Getting out of the car it started raining.  The rain was short lived and throughout our day we had rain, snow, wind, sun.  Skiing off the top was alot better than expected and we were all so very glad to get out.  Especially to tour with our buddy Joe E.
Looks great Oyvind and crew.
Thanks for living out a forgotten dream of mine.  My friends have a cabin pretty close to there, and we spent a fair amount of time in my teens touring around the Nason Ridge vicinity. They slightly rerouted Hwy 2 in the late 70's (where you took the last picture) so there is a better view of that "Swath". It appears the avalanches have strong appetite for trees in there, as a result the Swath seems to have grown in width over the years.
Could you share what route you took to get in and out of there?
I'm very pleased that you posted this report, it gives me more inspiration to hit those forgotten tours.

Reply to this TR

april-11-2009-swauth-couloir
Oyvind_Henningsen
2009-04-11 17:28:02