Home > Trip Reports > April 7, 2009, Mt. St Helens

April 7, 2009, Mt. St Helens

4/7/09
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GoDiego on 4/11/09 5:44am
Snow at the trailhead = skin up & ski back to vehicle without carrying skis! Skinned the entire route, no crampons. Stability good, crowds non-existent. Recommend high clearance to keep from high centering when driving the snow ruts on the road, but that will soon change... April 1st permit regulations apply, but it seems I was the only one that bothered...
I assume you mean Worm flows via Marble Mountain Snow Park? So the road is drivable to the trailhead with high clearance?  Anyone have more current beta?

Worm Flows via Marble Mountain I assume is where paramagic was.  Road to Climber's Bivouac is snowed in still and gated.

Just got back from there.  Road is clear enough now for 2wd non-high clearance.  Black ice in spots at 8:30 am this morning.  Maybe some scraping on the underbody (we were in an XT6), but not enough to get stuck in.  They aren't plowing the road anymore (I think...) so if it dumps and it stays cold, no luck.

Still skiable from the trailhead, just watch out for the clouds of two-cycle smoke in the parking lot

Reply to this TR

april-7-2009-mt-st-helens
GoDiego
2009-04-11 12:44:08