Home > Trip Reports > April 5, 2009, Cannon Mountain, NW Slopes

April 5, 2009, Cannon Mountain, NW Slopes

4/5/09
Posted by ADappen on 4/9/09 1:16am
The northwestern aspect of Cannon Mountain isn€™t much to look at. The lower slopes have been logged and are pocked by landslides. Fires on the mid-level and upper slopes have burned the uncut stands of lodgepole pines into glades of charred whiskers. In total, the combination of human and natural devastation has some dismissing the area as a grand wasteland.

Ski tourers, however, often view terrain differently. Rather than seeing slashed forests, they see clearings for carving. Rather than torched glades, they see canopy-free slalom runs. Beauty as defined by photographers and skiers can be worlds apart.

On Sunday two of us visited the Cannon Superfund Site for safety reasons. The Cascade crest had been hammered with two feet of new snow and high avalanche danger dampened our enthusiasm about turning amongst sliding slabs of snow. Cannon Mountain, however, was far enough east to have collected only half the snow.

We started up the Eightmile Road at about 8 a.m. and after a mile of walking skinned onward. At the 3,000-foot level, we left the road and boulder-hopped across Eightmile Creek. Then began the relentlessly steady ascent leading to the 7,800-foot level, the point where the north ridge of Cannon Mountain bifurcates into two prongs separated by the Cannon Mountain Couloir.

Even to skiers, the initial part of the climb is an Ugly Betty€”it€™s an open-pit mine stripped of its carbon ore. About a third of the way up, our climb moved from fields of stumps and fallen logs into burnt glades. Suddenly we are touring on a massive zebra hide where black shadows and charred trees contrasted severely against white snow. The fire-pruned trees also yielded  hidden views of Eightmile Mountain, Mount Stuart, Cashmere Mountain, Glacier Peak. Looking out over Cashmere Peak we wondered how fellow Wenatchee skier JWPlotz was getting along on his outing on the NE Face of Cashmere Peak (see his April 5 trip report).

After several hours of truly beautiful uphill touring, we reached the entrance of the Cannon Mountain Couloir€”one of those objectives on the  Bucket List of many local skiers. The direct line of the couloir tempted us to enter, but the entrance slope was slightly wind affected and of second-rate consistency next to the fluff we€™d ascended in the burns. We pointed the skis down a line paralleling the ascent route and, for some 2,400 vertical feet, skied a slalom course marked with black poles and layered with powder.

Lower down, we squirted out of the glades into clear-cuts catching more sun. Fortunately the sunlight was oblique and had alchemized the snow to corn rather than tapioca. For another 2,000 vertical feet, we carved between tree stumps, around the sprigs of vine maple, and over the humps of fallen logs. Yin and Yang coexisted on these slopes--what had been a superfund site by morning was a super-fun slope by afternoon.

++++

here's a link with more pictures, a map, and details about this route.

well-crafted report, looks like fun.  still on my list for days such as yours.

Andy,

Welcome to TAY ! I enjoyed the TR and photos on the link.  Is your gray bearded ski partner still working with North Cascade Heli Skiing ?

Zap,

Thanks for the comment. Regarding my gray-bearded friend, he must be a look-alike of who you're thinking about.  Matt is a life-long Forest Service stiff and a guy who usually says 'yes' when you ask him the night before whether he's available to ski. Gotta treasure those partners. Another sterling attribute: He's also almost alway in good form when you photograph him.

Great TR Andy and a privilege to have your report on TAY.
I have read some of your adventures on the Wenatchee something or other dot something, get out and do it webpage.
And if this is the same person who wrote articles for Powder and other skiing mags, I recognize the name and the writing style.
Welcome and look forward to reading more of your stuff.

Beautiful report--and very tempting. Here's why: Last October a friend and I climbed the burns to the ridge (exactly the route in your topo) and were driven crazy by the obstacles--especially on the way down, in the dark.  I'm astonished there's enough snow to make that slope skiable. I take it that you didn't go all the way to the summit like the guy who went via Rat Cr. Thumbs up, N

Thanks for the welcome. Joe, you have a good memory. For many years I was a contributing editor of Powder but with small balls, frail knees, and marginal abilities, I was justifiably put out to pasture. And you're right about the Wenatchee-Something-Or-Other website I currently manage (WenatcheeOutdoors.org).

Niko, it doesn't require that much coverage for a little hell-to-heaven transformation of those slopes. You're right, we didn't continue on to the true summit but skiers with more time (and energy) could ski a sweet 600 vertical-foot drop down a south-facing gulley and then ski up to Coney Lake and on to the true summit as described by motor man Plotz.

Andy - Thanks for the TR.  It's a pleasure to read your material again and thanks for contributing your talent to TAY!  You are one of my all-time favorite writers from Powder (sorry, I was not aware of your Wenatchee website).

author=ADappen link=topic=12968.msg54106#msg54106 date=1239391250">
And you're right about the Wenatchee-Something-Or-Other website I currently manage (WenatcheeOutdoors.org).

A little thread drift as the current of interest recedes.
I used your website to find some mountain biking trails in Wenatchee when I was there on some business. I was able to ride right from my hotel on some really nice single track close to town.
It is fun site, with great local flair...
As the movie Office Space says, it's all about the flair.

Reply to this TR

april-5-2009-cannon-mountain-nw-slopes
ADappen
2009-04-09 08:16:54