Home > Trip Reports > April 5, 2009, Pickhandle Point, North Chutes

April 5, 2009, Pickhandle Point, North Chutes

4/5/09
Posted by Dustin_B on 4/7/09 2:04am
Boogie, Valeska, and I toured up to Pickhandle Point via Bear Gap on Sunday, April 5 2009. It was a gorgeous day and warm. However there was a fair breeze on the ridge which kept things cool. The south facing slopes looked nasty; wet-loose slides and pinwheels every! So what a treat to pop over the top of Pickhandle Ridge to find these amazing north facing chutes! Man, the looked tasty and were. Had to take two laps down 'em! The snow was light, dry, and fast in the chutes, but once out on the flats and south facing slopes the snow was glop. We definitely weren't expecting to find pow when it was 50 degrees out! A great day overall.

Oi!  Resize them thar pics... I'm getting motion sick scrolling through them.  Cherry pick the best ones and thumbnail the rest.  Looks like great snow -- the pics have such good detail I can read the lettering on your jacket at 100 yards... :)

sorry about that!

Beautiful -- that's what I'm talking about.  Nice shots :)

I'm jealous, as I'm more or less hanging up the skis for much of the spring -- adopting a puppy who we'll be introducing to touring slowly.  Mmm... spring powder.

Glad you got those turns out there. Riding the chairs at Crystal I kept looking to see if someone was going to hit that up. I kept saying nobody has hit Pick yet. Finally in the afternoon you guys hit it, good job! Short, but sweet! Pretty rare to have Pickhandle on a weekend day without at least a few more folks out there. Especially powder on a sunny day in April!

author=Marcus link=topic=12954.msg53987#msg53987 date=1239144416]
I'm jealous, as I'm more or less hanging up the skis for much of the spring -- adopting a puppy who we'll be introducing to touring slowly. 

What the heck?
I recommend Scotsman for dog training since his dog Chugach is the epitome of obedience in the backcountry.  :D
Seriously, if you are considering or need contacts for avy dog training I have some leads.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=12954.msg53995#msg53995 date=1239154880]
I recommend Scotsman for dog training since his dog Chugach is the epitome of obedience in the backcountry.   :D
Seriously, if you are considering or need contacts for avy dog training I have some leads.

Chugach and I have finally reached an agreement. I drive him to the trail head, he goes touring with other people he considers cooler and we meet up at the end of the day!
Don't get a Siberian Husky Marcus!

Ha!  I'm thinking Hopi and I (and Anastasia -- she'll be the main dog-lover) will have a slightly more cooperative relationship than that.  We'll use Chugach as a model if it goes south though... :)

Reply to this TR

april-5-2009-pickhandle-point-north-chutes
Dustin_B
2009-04-07 09:04:07