Home > Trip Reports > April 5, 2009, Olympics, Steeple Rock

April 5, 2009, Olympics, Steeple Rock

4/5/09
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 4/6/09 1:32pm
From 2 feet of pow to slushy corn in only 3 days!  ::)
I toured out the Obstruction Point road 2 miles to that big spiky thing with friends from the Peninsula Wilderness Club.  Lots of natural point-releases left from Saturday, but we saw little new slide activity; high haze kept the temps down to near perfect. 
We skinned (w/ 2 snowshoers) the big slope W of Steeple. Got a little thin up near the saddle, where we traversed around the N side.  Lots of snow up high, the first time the final bit wasn't bare rock according to one guy.  When the skinning got too steep we let the snowshoes go first, while we wallowed behind them up the chest-deep 60 degree fun.  You could have skied from the summit, but not knowing how close we were I didn't tote the boards up. 
Got a few turns off the N side, then sidestepped rocks and a log from the saddle to the first real, sloppy, mushy corn of the spring.  Sluffs ran regularly on the S slope but nothing to fret about. 
Brilliant day.
Mack, this sounds good.  Did you capture any photos on your trip?  Regardless, sounds like fun. Hope you made the snowshoers break trail...  ;)  Glad to hear you were able to enjoy the beautiful weekend too! 

Good timing Mack.
I had my eye on the N face of Steeple the day before you were up there.  I had hoped to ski it into Cox Vally and climb the summer trail up to Obstruction Point Road.  Fortunately, we were too occupied skiing powder to break away and make the trip South.  I was reassured knowing that you would claim some turns there the next day and that between us we would cover the bases.

Many hands make light work.   :)

author=Snow Bell link=topic=12949.msg53967#msg53967 date=1239122503]
Good timing Mack.
I had my eye on the N face of Steeple the day before you were up there.  I had hoped to ski it into Cox Vally and climb the summer trail up to Obstruction Point Road.  Fortunately, we were too occupied skiing powder to break away and make the trip South.  I was reassured knowing that you would claim some turns there the next day and that between us we would cover the bases.

Many hands make light work.   :)

That's my motto every time you break trail, buddy.

Reply to this TR

april-5-2009-olympics-steeple-rock
telemack
2009-04-06 20:32:25