Home > Trip Reports > April 4-5, 2009, Cassiope Peak, British Columbia

April 4-5, 2009, Cassiope Peak, British Columbia

4/4/09
Posted by iluka on 4/6/09 1:24pm
Paul, Dan, Lukas, Jacek and I headed out on an overnight trip off the Duffy Lakes road outside of Pemberton. Jacek was on a "mellow" tour cross-training for the Boston Marathon in a few weeks while Dan and Lucas were getting in some prep work for an upcoming Waddington trip.

The original plan was to do the North Joffre Creek Loop tour described in John Baldwin's guidebook but between the avalanche risk and the slow snow conditions, we opted for an alternative plan. We skied up to the basin and lake below Cassiope Peak and Saxifrage and then up the slopes beyond the lake to the saddle between the two peaks. From there we traveled a bit up the ridge towards Saxifrage and set up camp with great views all around.

The next morning, we awoke to sunshine and clear, cold skies and decided we would traverse over Cassiope Peak and then head back down to the lake on it's easter slopes. Skiing back to the col was unpleasant at best on breakable crust... a feature of just about anything that wasn't north facing this weekend. From there, we toured up the western ridge of the peak to the summit, finding nice soft snow on the way up. From the top, we eyed the rest of the traverse. Easily doable but much of the way from there would be on crusted-over south and east facing slopes. Remembering the snow we hit on the way up to the ridge, we opted to head back towards the western side of the summit ridge (right-most slopes in the photo of the peak below) where we dropped in and found great powder turns on the north facing aspect.

From there we traversed on lower angle terrain below the summit, up to another spot on the ridge east of the subpeak with the relay station on it. We took another run down that, finding more great powder turns a good way down to the lake.

We then headed eastwards bit dropping down to the lake on mellow slopes in a combination of powder or mushy snow. After a break for lunch we, headed back down to Joffre Creek following some previous ski tracks into some good old classic Pacific Northwest survival skiing on steep, tight tree-filled slopes. Back down at the bog, it was easy skinning back to the car and some post-trip food at Pony's.

Jacek's photos of the trip: http://picasaweb.google.com/yatseck40D/NorthJoffreApril09#

Paul's photos of the trip: http://paulpalf.spaces.live.com/
Beautiful

Is that Paul Palf I see there with Dynafits?  Say it ain't so

Well, I admit to being guilty of skiing with training heels, but Dynafits they were not.  ::)

In my defense, the boss dictated that I we all had to be "product testing" this weekend. Had I been a lawyer like yourself Lee, I'm sure I could have charged triple time for undue hardship, but us poor engineers aren't quite so lucky. ;D

Paul

PaulPalf did at least catch some sympathy from Jasi for his efforts on AT gear this weekend!

That last photo. WOw!!
As they used to say in Wayne's World..... Shwwiiiiingg!!!

Sorry Paul!  I meant you were on Onyx - compatible bindings.  I hear even naheed is product -testing so at least you're not alone in bondage.

We skied up Vantage and passed you guys as you were going in on the road.  Coverage actually looks good

Reply to this TR

april-4-5-2009-cassiope-peak-british-columbia
iluka
2009-04-06 20:24:36