Home > Trip Reports > april 5, 2009, rose knob, carson range

april 5, 2009, rose knob, carson range

4/5/09
Posted by allyson on 4/5/09 2:08pm
a year ago, kam and i were stuck and crying in sticky, sweaty virginia.  this year, however, is different.  now, we have the grand sierras as our very own backyard!!  having said that, we haven't done a lot of tours in the area yet, choosing to spend most of our time this winter exploring the plethora of inbound resorts.  it was great to get out today with a couple friends who could show us some local hot spots. 

we met up with gary and ben at a gas station at the start of the mt. rose highway around 7:30am.  kam and i had to raid the convenience store for breakfast and lunch items, and 20 bucks later (!!!) we were off to drop a car.  we parked one vehicle at a pull-out near galena creek (7400') off of mt. rose highway, and then continued driving up to the starting point.  we parked the second car at a popular pull-off just below the mt. rose summit, 8600', and crossed to the west side of the street to begin the tour.

with gary and his dog mo as our fearless leaders, we were off by 8:30 am.  the day was completely bluebird and warm, with very little breeze at the beginning.  there was only one other party of 3 that we saw, and they ended up taking a different route, so we soon had the whole area to ourselves.  the snow was powdery in the shade and firm in the sun, so skinning was pretty easy.  we continued upwards staying mostly in the trees until we got to the top of an unnamed peak, ~9600'.  to the southwest we had views of tahoe, and to the north and east we could see reno, washoe lake, and all along the carson range. 

our first run was along a northfacing slope, and only a couple other tracks were there from the previous day.  we were able to make some powdery turns on a nice firm base, and skied down to about 8700'.  reskinned, and then headed up the southwest facing slope towards rose knob. 

we got to the top of rose knob, 10,400', around 11am.  while eating lunch, we enjoyed views of mt. rose, reno valley, the carson range, and even lassen to the far north.  the ski down was fantastic--a mix of smooth, buttery corn in the sun, and some well-preserved powder in the shade.  we continued heading out by following the galena creek drainage.  it was a bit of a slog through overgrowth and forest, but we eventually made it back to the car at 7400' around 1pm.

all of this makes virginia seem like a distant, fading memory.  thanks for an awesome day, boys!...so great to be back out west!!   :D
Great report, Allyson.  Just think, one year ago this time I was stressing about maintaining my streak.  This year is certainly different, indeed.

Beautiful weather and excellent conditions! Some photos:

Yahoo ! I knew you would love the Tahoe area.

It won't be long before you can start driving south along 395 and pick out a roadside attraction. Drive  up a plowed road to 10,000', put on the skins and go higher and then finish the day soaking  in a hot springs with a cold one. The Eastern Sierra trout opener is April 25 and that's when many of the high elevation roads are plowed and provide high elevation access.

Jill and I are still in British Columbia but plan to head to The Sierra in late April.  We'll contact you enroute.

Excellent tour and TR! Great pictures! I was there yesterday and for a 3-day weekend skiing around. We were going to  tour the Rose knob Sunday too (might have bumped into you) but after a late night decided to cruise Heavenly groomers, and rip the corn in Mott and Kilebrew Canyons.

In your second picture in the very top left, I'm pretty sure you can see Mt Jobs and the Jaws Couloir. We were scoping the peak from Heavenly, and also drooling over the line from Genoa on our way to the airport.

That would be a good one to add to your list. The line is in fine shape but the runout to the valley is of course melted out.

-AR

Looks like a great trip!
I think about that area often, my sister lives down in Reno. Now it looks like I may be able to get a local tour guide. Would someday like to ski from Mt Rose ski area east to the basin floor. Need a guide, Kam, up for any good bush whacking?

My visit in February showed me what you and the lake dwellers have within half an hour of home!  Feb was great, sounds like things are still excellent, you are in a good place.  Thanks again.

Reply to this TR

april-5-2009-rose-knob-carson-range
allyson
2009-04-05 21:08:22