Home > Forum > February 27, 2004, Crystal - Southback

February 27, 2004, Crystal - Southback

• snoslut
  • [boarddude]
More
01 Mar 2004 00:36 - 01 Mar 2004 01:57 #211726 by snoslut
Pulled up to the parking lot an hour before the lifts opened.  Day looked promising with 5 inches of fresh.  Lapped Green Valley 3 times, all in different areas.  Was deeper on West Face and ridge lined areas off of Grubstake Peak.  Then I made my way for Southback.  It had been closed for a few days do to high winds and snow.  Watched skier after skier and boarder after boarder drop in to Cambell Basin as I strapped my board.  I could hear people scrapping down to a nasty crust layer.  Anyways I was first one thru the gates.  No tracks to follow and the sun started to come out so I boogied.  Ended up booting trail all the way to top of the King.  Some places had been blown to ice while others had waist deep snow but mostly kicking thru knee deep.  Anyways as I neared the top I could start see some skiers following my boot pack.  The anticipation and excitement of being first gave me a boost.  They thanked me when they reached the top and gave me first line off the peak.  I ripped a line down my favorite chute.  Snow off the top was wind blown with stashes of deep near trees.  The chute was really wind loaded and deep!  Usually it's a natural half pipe but the recent winds had built gentle rollers down the whole right side of the chute.  Was in my happy place. ;D  The snow in the bowl was great but phat in the trees below.  Was a little deeper and lighter.  Towards the end there was evidence of tracks from days before lingering beneath.  Didn't make much difference though.  Well I made it down just in time to watch the sun come out and bake in all it's glory.  I had beaten the sun before it beat my slope.<br><br>Well round 2's hike out was alot easier and not many people.  You didn't feel like your in a rush to beat someone to that stash.  It would still be there and it was.  Took a different line down to a chute with more trees.  Snow was starting to get thicker but it was fresh and untracked.  Once again the trees provided and ah...it was great! ;D  Another day in paradise.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.