Home > Trip Reports > March 29, 2009, Hurricane Ridge, Maggies

March 29, 2009, Hurricane Ridge, Maggies

3/29/09
WA Olympics
Posted by RandoBro on 4/2/09 2:08pm
Exciting day with those involved!  Pics exist, but not here:(

Skinning up from last pull-out by 10:15, met up with Blain-bro and his foxy lady friend. 

Observed sluffs on (what I learned to be) the backside of the rope tow (S-SE-ish facing?).   

After gaining ridge by 11:00 met up with SEVEN! other people, 4 of which were dropping the N face, 1 by 1.  Blain-bro recognized a few of these powder hounds as local yocals.

There was discussion about atypical wind direction  (NW vs SE), current any conditions (HIGH) and melting out of the S-ish face on a sunny day with a 7am-ish? sunrise.   Proved to be icy on the top on N face, but hoots and hollers confirmed good snow below.

Meanwhile, dude-bro drops the S face and in a flash is tumbling down an 8" sluff into trees about 250' vert below ridge, smack dab middle of Maggies.  His two partners set chase.  I tore off my skins  and was ready for action- a bit hastily, perhaps.  Blain-bro managed to talk me down and recognize not to make the situation worse.  After 5 minutes we had deduced very little in the way of signs or signals from below except a bit of movement in the trees- 1 up? all 3? 

I chose a descent through the trees, skiers right, and then ski cut the traverse into the "Laird Trees" 

8-10 mins after incident I found the 2 rescuers digging; the victim still clicked in, hanging from a tree branch,  buried to his knees- with the biggest smile I've ever seen on anyone!

Aparrently,  victim thought he had an airpocket after thankfully? coming to stop in the trees.  Soon after, it collapsed with more snow from above.  Partners sluffs? 

Partners were able to locate visually as the victim's hand was waving above the snow.  Rescuer began digging with hand, gloved and then ungloved, trying to extricate his buddy.  He later explained that the adrenaline was rushing and he had to calm himself to take the few seconds to assemble his shovel. 

Victim felt well enough to stand and had sore ankle, joked about life and death a bit, clicked in and skied to the car.

Blain-bro, foxy lady and I boot packed the avy path and observed an icy, breakable crust.  We gained the ridge, rested and dropped the N side for 1000' of pow-on-crust turns!  Hiked up with the 4 from before, who'd been yo-yoing, gained the ridge, rested and dropped the N-NE-E-SE-ish face(s) of Blain-bro's "Blaines Lanes" Bowling Alley- THE cool way back to the road.

Hit the car for some Rainier and headed home!

Always looking for an adventure.  PM me.

Disclaimer: From Foggy Memory.

Reply to this TR

march-29-2009-hurricane-ridge-maggies
RandoBro
2009-04-02 21:08:00