Home > Forum > MRNP - That Damned Gate

MRNP - That Damned Gate

• The_Snow_Troll
  • [The_Snow_Troll]
More
27 Feb 2004 05:47 #168964 by The_Snow_Troll
MRNP - That Damned Gate was created by The_Snow_Troll
Hey All, <br><br>Anyone one have any inside scoop on the opening of the Longmire gate? When it's been opening lately....where to get a reliable prediction of it's opening in the coming days?<br><br>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeleRoss
  • [TeleRoss]
More
27 Feb 2004 06:20 #168965 by TeleRoss
Replied by TeleRoss on topic Re: MRNP - That Damned Gate
Nearly always opens around 9. Sometimes if it's been clear forever with no new snowfall for a while, they'll get it open around 8:30ish.

More
27 Feb 2004 07:36 #168966 by ron j
Replied by ron j on topic Re: MRNP - That Damned Gate
Yep - that gate's an irritant, to be sure. We've all cooled our heels waiting for it to open. We call it the "Plague of the Rainier Rat". On the brighter side, my frisbee skills have improved a bit because of that gate ;)<br><br>As one might guess, there seems to be at least some relationship between the hour of the gate opening and the amount of the previous night's snowfall. So you might predict a bit more accurately by watching forecasts and the previous night's snowfall on the Paradise telemetry station. Although just about the time you think you've got it all figured out there's just a dusting at Paradise and the gate still doesn't open 'till 11:00. ??? Proly a lot more to it that we don't know about, I guess...<br><br>The Rangers in the Park Communications office usually have at least an idea as to how long it is going to take to get the road cleared as soon as they hear from the road crews quite early in the morning. They usually try to get the recording up for the road (which usually contains an estimated gate opening time) by 7:30 or 8:00. <br><br>If they get delayed in getting the day's road recording up or you need to know something earlier than that, you can call them direct on extension 2334.<br><br>It's not much, but it's a little better than just showing up at Longmire and waiting. That is, unless you need to brush up on your frisbee skills :)<br><br>We usually just stop somewhere for breakfast, call on the cell, and then wait around to time our arrival at Longmire a bit before the gate is estimated to open.

More
15 Mar 2004 05:52 #169082 by skipole
Replied by skipole on topic Re: MRNP - That Damned Gate
Better late than never to reply :)<br><br>I coordinate Nordic Ski Patrol at Paradise, a volunteer position where I have learned quite a bit about the gate opening.<br><br>The primary concern of the Park Service is safety for visitors and for the park staff. So if the decision is made that safety requires a later opening then that is what happens. There is no evil intent to delay. I have found the staff to be professional and very interested in getting the gates open as soon as possible consistent with safety.<br><br>Sometimes the delay or non-opening has to do with a high avalanche danger making portions of the road dangerous.<br><br>Before the gate opens some of the park staff have to go up to Paradise to start various duties. Because the road is very narrow and snow plows are working there is a protocol to assure that no one gets hurt. Staff vehicles have to wait at specific turn out points to avoid collisions and coordinate with the plows by radio so that the plows pass when they are in the turn outs. Depending on how much administrative traffic there is and what the road conditions are like the need for administrative travel can slow down the Paradise staff, the plows or both.<br><br>I know of at least 1 occasion when overnight campers decided to go down the road from Paradise before it was open, creating very serious hazards and delaying the gate opening.<br><br>Before the gate opens the road not only needs to be cleared but if chains will be required then the spot where that will happen has to be determined plus park staff has to be posted at that spot. Sometimes conditions are changing rapidly and that decision may not be obvious. At the chain up spot the ranger makes sure that each vehicle is properly equipped because the effect of letting someone by without proper equipment will be probably to delay everyone when the improperly equipped vehicle gets stuck.<br><br>Unlike state roads in the Park there is no distinction between conditions warranting chains and those warranting snow tires. So in conditions where only snow tires would be sufficient on state roads each vehicle in the park has to put on chains (except 4 wheel drive). That tends to slow down traffic.<br><br>Sometimes when there is a long line of too anxious visitors the park has a ranger or park volunteer be the first to go up, going slowly so that the line of cars can proceed at a more safe pace. I have done that several times.<br><br>It's easy to feel inconvenienced when you don't know what's going on. I hope this gives you a more realistic idea.