Home > Forum > ski-touring in Norway

ski-touring in Norway

• Gary_Yngve
  • [Gary_Yngve]
More
26 Feb 2004 09:50 #168958 by Gary_Yngve
ski-touring in Norway was created by Gary_Yngve
I may find myself in Norway for a few weeks in April/May. I'll be looking to do some ski touring, easy summits, etc. Anyone have any recommendations on what's good to do there, or even where to find good information [in English] on skiing/mountaineering objectives?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2004 10:33 #168959 by inslomo
Replied by inslomo on topic Re: ski-touring in Norway
It has been over 20 years since I last ski toured in Norway but I can offer a few bits of info that might lead you to more. Any visit to the mountains of Norway should start first with a visit to the office of DNT (Den Norske Turistforening) in Oslo. They probably have a website these days. There, you can get guides, maps, and info on huts and access, etc.<br><br>I have skied in several mountain groups in southern Norway (south of Trondheim). A lot of what I have done is fairly moderate terrain with trails from hut to hut, such as the Hardangervidda and the Rondane. I have also skied in casual (pick a valley) road-start day tours in the Hemsedalsfjella and the Dovre. The Jotunheimen is Norway's highest mountain group -- I have only visited there in summer for mountaineering. The latter would be a good goal for more rugged backcountry skiing.<br><br>You mentioned you'd be skiing in April/May -- I seem to recall that beginning with Easter, the mountains start getting a bit crowded with tourers, seeking to enjoy the spring skiing (All my trips were earlier in the year).<br><br>I was reading the latest copy of Ski Trax (cross-country magazine on the stands) and a couple of articles touched on experiences (that I could relate to) in the mountains of Norway.<br><br>Have a great trip! I envy anyone who gets to go to Ski Heaven.<br><br>

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
26 Feb 2004 12:11 - 26 Feb 2004 12:11 #168960 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: ski-touring in Norway
Some Norwegian skiers post regularly on That Other Forum (Telemarktips.com).  You might ask there.<br><br>I'll also second inslomo's suggestion; DNT has a lot on offer. <br><br>Hope that helps.<br><br>Mark

More
26 Feb 2004 15:11 #168961 by Don_B
Replied by Don_B on topic Re: ski-touring in Norway
I've sent a request to one of my sisters, who lives in Norway, and will pass on anything I get back that looks useful. Meanwhile, you could read Nansen's stories about skiing from college in Bergen to home in Oslo with his trusty dog ;)

More
02 Mar 2004 14:14 #168993 by Don_B
Replied by Don_B on topic Re: ski-touring in Norway
my nephew from Flekkefjord sends these links:<br><br>www.haukeliseter.no is the adress to a popular place in the winter.
www.sirdalsferie.com also has pages in English.
www.turistforeningen.no has pages in English and is the touristassociation.

If I hear from others, I'll pass the word along.

• Gary_Yngve
  • [Gary_Yngve]
More
16 Mar 2004 11:41 #169094 by Gary_Yngve
Replied by Gary_Yngve on topic Re: ski-touring in Norway
Thanks for the advice! Ah, this trip is looking more and more fun -- just checked out some 1:100000 maps of Norway from the UW Library!

• JKordel
  • [Alpentrol]
More
17 Mar 2004 04:26 #169098 by JKordel
Replied by JKordel on topic Re: ski-touring in Norway
A couple of years ago my wife skied from hut to hut for a few days in the Jotunheimen region. She had a great time and brought back beautiful pictures. Almost everyone there skied with somewhat light touring gear while she had T2s and Sumos. The touring sounded like it was mostly mellow with good turns to be had as well. Oh - she was there aound Easter as well and remarked that it is a good and popular time to be touring. <br><br>I can supply more detailed info if you have more questions.