Home > Trip Reports > March 26, 2009, Mt. Baker backcountry

March 26, 2009, Mt. Baker backcountry

3/26/09
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by markharf on 3/27/09 3:21am
It€™s been three or four months since I skied; in fact, three or four months since I€™ve done anything more aerobic than sitting on a motorcycle twisting the throttle and squeezing (when offered no alternative) the brake.  In addition, I€™ve spent large portions of the past year or two in the tropics, where all effort is necessarily kept to an absolute minimum in deference to the debilitating heat.  I am noticeably more rounded in silhouette than previously, and simple tasks like climbing short flights of stairs or negotiating the endless aisles of the local mega-supermarket have somehow become more challenging than they once were. 

Hoping to avoid, therefore, embarrassing encounters with anyone I knew during a previous, more fit era, I managed a comfortably late start yesterday: 4:00 pm.  This was late enough to evade Tim Place, who has more free time available than any twelve ordinary mortals (and whom I characteristically run into as I depart the parking lot around noon or 1:00), but not late enough to miss the preternaturally energetic Telemon, just returning from a tour as I finished gearing up.  I made excuses and got on my way. 

I made several interesting discoveries: first and foremost, that backcountry skiing is hard work indeed€”harder by several orders of magnitude than pushing shopping carts or twisting motorcycle throttles.  Second, that along with being grievously out of shape I am drastically out of practice.  Even the fabled €œfore and aft stability€ [sic] of the telemark turn failed, at intervals, to preserve my accustomed state of dignity and composure.  And third, that certain crucial elements of the landscape€”notably, the ground€”continue to get harder, less welcoming and indeed more abusive of my body as I age. 

On the other hand, there was no one else around to see me flail and fume, and the solitude provided ample opportunities to stop and admire the scenery, contemplate my route, or adjust bindings, backpack or clothing€¦..all of which I did approximately every four paces or when I ran out of breath--whichever came first. 

All of which is by way of saying I had a nice, scenic, fulfilling tour featuring a couple of runs in thick (but dry and stable) powder, followed by a final shot down the cut-up, work-hardened mess of the ski area's Pan Face. And made it back to the parking lot tired and a bit battered, but without suffering major trauma or life-altering indignity.  What a spectacular landscape we have in which to frolic! 

My goal next time out: 3:00 pm departure from the parking lot.

enjoy,

Mark

Perhaps the most finely nuanced TR of the season  ;D

Mark - welcome back to the PNW and skiing. Funny timing - while touring yesterday, we ran into a couple of Baker skiers and someone commented that they hadn't seen posts from you in a long time. Again, welcome back!

Nice to have you back, Mark.
We missed your pithy graphiology  ;)

Guess that lottery win wasn't as big as I'd imagined, eh?  I expected you to be gone for at least another year or two  ::)

For those of you that don't yet know or recall what a live wire, a virtual bundle of jangled nerves, that Mark can be, just take a gander at him during a typical day of his recent travels:

Mark,
Wow, I was touring yesterday wondering where you were.  I was headed home from Baker backcountry @ 3:50.  Sorry to have missed you.

Since you've been gone we've had a baby, toured less, but smiled even more.  Drop me a note so we can catch up.

Mike (and Pamela and Piper).

Welcome back!  How far south did you go on the motorcylce?  funky bags.  BTW I got a F650GS

The voice in the wilderness returns -- look forward to reading your TRs again.

It was nice meeting you in the parking lot yesterday, Mark. Sorry about the identity mixup, but after all, it has been 4 or 5 years since we last skied together and we are both getting elderly. Is it possible to be a supernatural geriatric?

I've missed your very readable trip reports over the last couple of years. Those of us who do not write so well, often try to make up for our literary handicaps with our photos. I hope that you don't mind if I post a couple shots taken yesterday of the area covered in your report.

(Photos removed by moderator: over photo guidelines limit)

What a relief to know you are still with us!!

It would be a pleasure to ski, for once, with someone who does not require me to pant with my tongue dragging in the snow at the back of the pack!!  Maybe we can skin up to Cheap Date some mid-day, do a lap, and call it a day, retiring to the tap room to recount our adventure.

Welcome back, wordsmith.

author=ron j link=topic=12833.msg53471#msg53471 date=1238179941]

For those of you that don't yet know or recall what a live wire, a virtual bundle of jangled nerves, that Mark can be, just take a gander at him during a typical day of his recent travels:

...sorry to interrupt, but those saddlebags, from this angle, I really can't tell, please, but are they fine Italian leather or heavy duty Glad...

(photo removed by moderator: over photo guidelines limit

I thought you gave up skiing. You returned just in time for winter.

It's great to have you back.  Your trip reports have been missed.  Please go back out and torture yourself some more and post another report.  ;)

Welcome back Mark.  Will look forward to hearing about your adventures  :).

Thanks to all for the welcoming words. 

In light of the photo Ron posted, I feel obligated to offer a more accurate representation of my current state of physical fitness:

See you on the trail.  I'll be easy to recognize.

Mark

mark, in case you did not hear it enough already, welcome back and very much missed your trip reports!!

Reply to this TR

march-26-2009-mt-baker-backcountry
markharf
2009-03-27 10:21:04