Home > Trip Reports > 3-24-09 MH.... Why don't we do it in the trees

3-24-09 MH.... Why don't we do it in the trees

3/24/09
Posted by rong on 3/24/09 9:04am
I skied solo today exploring some delicious canyon walls.  conditions were good for a powder day, with 16" on open terrain, and 12"+ in the trees, on top of the weekend crust.   NWAC nailed the avy forcast, as i saw a couple soft slab releases on east aspects with 38 degree pitches.  My own observations at the scene indicated reasonably stable conditions, so i attributed the slides to cornice failure.  on the next ridge over i observed very nice shooting cracks, but the slab did not release.  the risk was minimal, as the area was firmly guarded by trees, but the signs are there if one is in the wrong place!  i skied a south, sheltered, aspect, and moved around to some NW aspect.  what a wonderful day.  i cannot claim face shots, but from the neck down it was a good plastering.  i navigated onto some 40+ degree slope, as the pictures would indicate.  hand pits yielded good bonding to the weekend crust, with  a weak bond @ 10cm (between 3-22 and 3-24 snowfalls), although ski cuts yielded nothing.  ski on!  this was terrain that Wayne H. and i had explored on 3-22, but didn't ski as the conditions were less than ideal.  elevation ranged from 4.8k to 6k for the days ski.
Geez..  those are some nice tree shots.  MH = Mount Hood, yes?

wow Ron, picture 2 looks great.  Looks pretty smooth, booby traps covered?  I wish I could have been there.  Nice to have work though for the time being.

I think MH stands for a diabolical laugh because he got the goods while some of us had to work.  Or Mt. Hood.

Steve.......  I was working.  Remember,  I'm an athlete!

David,  Yes.

Nice tree skiing.  where were you?  PM me (?) or just give me a general area to search. 

Unless it's top secret.... :P

I registered just to to find out.  Beautiful pictures!

I could not resist letting Ron have all the midweek fun, so I skipped work today to get tracks here with the freshies that fell this week. Lots of fun, the first few runs were nice, but by noon it thickend up quickly, was able to make 1 more run in good snow before calling it quits.

Reply to this TR

3-24-09-mh-why-don-t-we-do-it-in-the-trees
rong
2009-03-24 16:04:36