Home > Trip Reports > March 20-22, Caribou Mountain Lodge

March 20-22, Caribou Mountain Lodge

3/15/09
Posted by Marcus on 3/23/09 3:02am
Endless refreshing of the National Weather Service forecasts does not seem to have an effect on the amount of rain that they predict, or the temperatures at which it falls.

We met Mark & Lynn near the trailhead and loaded our food and extra gear onto their snowmobiles.  We had a seven mile, 3-4 hour skin in from the parking lot, so there wasn't a lot of touring to be done Friday afternoon.  The
Sessioning a kicker, saunaing and drinking ! You're behaving like a hedonist Marcus.
Thanks for the link. It's already been bookmarked as I didn't know this facilty existed.
Looks perfect!
thanks

Thanks for the TR.  Over the weekend, I saw a portion of a TV program on Skiing in the Northwest and there was a segment on Caribou Mtn. Lodge.  Looks like a beautiful backcountry lodge.

It is a wonderful place!  I can see it from my house! 

The place is hallowed ground:  my friend died in a slide off the southern face of Keokee several years ago....I was up there skiing last weekend with thoughts of him.  You might find a little memorial that I left the day I went up and retrieved his gear from the rescue site.  RIP, Tim:  a mountaineer is always free!

Enjoy your visits, folks! 

The warm storm conditions are common up here, often raining to the mountaintops,  and the snowmobiles quite often rip the shit out of the area, but you learn to cope ;)

Marcus, I don't know how you did it, but you painted me green via a tr.  Nice trip!  I'm jealous - and that's just from the lodge info!  Glad you guys got some whooping snow! ;)

Ha!  If breakable crust and knee deep shmoo do the trick for you, Stugie, MAN do I have some stashes to show you. :)

But yes, can't say enough about the lodge and it's in a really beautiful spot.  The terrain isn't huge, like you'd get in Golden or Revelstoke, but the tree skiing is plentiful and there are lots of aspects to play on for powder hunting.  It'd be an excellent spring destination too, as the ridgelines and steep shots would be very conducive to some interesting longer tours.

Reply to this TR

march-20-22-caribou-mountain-lodge
Marcus
2009-03-23 10:02:26