Home > Trip Reports > East Summit of Snoqualmie

East Summit of Snoqualmie

3/15/09
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by CoachingEndurance.com on 3/23/09 12:33am
we headed out to ski the crooked couloir off of snoqualmie mtn yesterday but a virtual blizzard rolled in by the time we made the summit.  a half inch of light on top of a death crust made ski crampons necessary.  it was solid so i only dug a hasty pit.  under the crust was low density ball bearings for about 4 inches.  then the next 3 feet seemed to be super high density and damp but all one consistency, no layers.  seemed like that rain had percolated down and solidified the bonds below that first 4 inches under the crust.  = bomber... but scratchy and crusty skiing.  once it warmed up skiing on top of the crust became the choir.

video and pictures here
http://coachingendurance.com/blog/2009/03/skiing-east-summit-of-snoqualmie.shtml
Hey Matt, nice seeing you and your buddies up there.  Our ski down the Slot Couloir was a pleasent suprise after the conditions were had observed on the skin up.  The snow on the north facing slope was not sun affected and there were some good turns.  Hope you guys get it next time.

Dave

Love the video.  That is great work -- gives a nice picture of overall conditions.  Warm weather and rain following epic snow = really hard skiing conditions!  I opted for a little cross country tour on nordic skis around Catherine on Sunday given the forecast for hard snowpack and lack of willing partners.  I was amazed how hard the snow was from just a couple warm days.

Hey Matt,
Great touring with you on Sunday.  Hope we can get out there again.  I really enjoyed your pics and video. 

We may try to go out again tomorrow or Friday if conditions look good.  Let me know if you're interested.

Mark

Matt - thanks for the video.  That was a good time.  We will get it next time. 

Reply to this TR

east-summit-of-snoqualmie
CoachingEndurance.com
2009-03-23 07:33:47