Home > Trip Reports > Cannon Mtn. Summit/Couloir via Rat Creek, 3/22/09

Cannon Mtn. Summit/Couloir via Rat Creek, 3/22/09

3/15/09
Posted by jwplotz on 3/22/09 2:24pm
Tom (the human lung), Kyle and I skinned up Rat Creek, summitted Cannon Mtn. then skied back down to Coney Lake, then booted up to Cannon Mtn. Couloir for excellent powder turns back down to 8 Mile Rd.  The snow turned to crap low down in the couloir, but for the most part, we enjoyed incredible snow where it counted most.  The turns were the best from Cannon's summit all the way back to the lake, and the couloir itself before it starts to open up. Took us 12 hours car to car, which we shuttled from Alphabet Rock.  About 8,000 vf day.   

A few more photos...

Stuart/Colchuck looking south

Around Coney Lake

Booting up to the couloir

Hiking over to couloir

Another strong effort, John, nice work!  Jake and I were skiing a thin rain trap crust at 5900 feet yesterday saying, "we just need to be 1 to 2 thousand feet higher."  And then we thought of Cannon.....too far too late.
Thanks for sharing.
J

Great TR and photos.  I've always wanted to do some fishing in Coney Lake but it's such a long slog/bushwack in the Fall.  You guys provided the solution - skin in, ski out and bring the ice auger to do some ice fishing.  ;)

Nice work you guys!! Sounds like a huge day with some awesome skiing. I'm jealous.

Great trip and pictures!  I skied the cannon couloir last year about this time, but came up from the stewart lake trailhead.  Did you ski out that way, or did you cross the river lower down?  I like the route you took much better...

Thanks.  We skied down the CMC all the way to its end practically, then traversed south a bit to access the W. slopes, then down and across mountaineer's creek.

when we did it, crossing mtneer cr. was pretty much the crux of the day.
a butt-shimmy across a fallen log in the rain 10 feet above the raging creek and boulders while holding my snowboard.  fun stuff.

really nice photo documentation. thanx

Reply to this TR

cannon-mtn-summit-couloir-via-rat-creek-3-22-09
jwplotz
2009-03-22 21:24:15