Home > Trip Reports > March 6 - 17, 2009, Wallowa Mountains, Joseph Oregon

March 6 - 17, 2009, Wallowa Mountains, Joseph Oregon

3/6/09
OR elsewhere
Posted by climberdave on 3/20/09 9:38am
My first trip report (please be gentle)  :D

Well due to Thane's (Jamie) recent unemployment and my just hating work, a ski trip was in order to the beautiful Wallowa mountains (Big Sheep Hut) for a few weeks.  The first week was great since we didn't see or even hear anyone else for six days and the pow was fantastic.  18-24" of cold, dry and happy snow with temps in the teens during the day and 0 to -5 at night with blue bird skies abound and every run was fresh and deep.  After that we hooked up with some of my old Portland friends for more of the same (same hut) but with new snow every night and temps around 20 to 30F. 

We pulled the pulk (named Mule) with an abundance of bacon, tequila, bourbon and the guitar to make the trip more enjoyable - the parts I remember were great  ;).   

Sadly on the first Saturday (March 7th) there was a skier avy fatality in the next basin over from us - Aneroid basin, and the news was quite sobering.  Roger was known by many and loved by all and my condolences to his family.
http://www.wallowacountychieftain.info/main.asp?SectionID=9&SubSectionID=61&ArticleID=18368&TM=68289.97

Also, if you ever find yourself in Joseph Oregon and need a place to stay - Chandlers B&B can't be beat.  $35/night including gourmet breakfast, hot tub overlooking the mountains and Lisa (one of the owners) even did our laundry after our first week of skiing!!  What a place.

climber dave
Sounds like you had fantastic conditions and a wonderful time Dave.  8)
Thanks for sharing.  Looking forward to skiing with you guys again soon!

Nice - thanks for sharing. Sounds like a wonderful extended stay there.

I second the nomination of Chandler's, at least for breakfast (haven't slept there so can't speak to that but the bunkrooms looked decent enough). They gave us all a nice tasty belly bloat the morning before our trip into McCully.

Hey folks!  I'm trying to figure out how to post a few more higher-rez pics, but may have to get Dave to do it cuz he started the thread.  Good times and turns had by all! 

Lisa, great skiing Red with you guys on Saturday, and sorry we skipped out on the after party.  I guess that slogging through the mashed potatos and getting drenched by the gravy just really took it out of us.  We must have been spoiled by the high and dry Wallowa experience!

-Thane (jamie)

Reply to this TR

march-6-17-2009-wallowa-mountains-joseph-oregon
climberdave
2009-03-20 16:38:38